my Plan 9 environment is the only one that i feel i know and have control over; i don't feel the same about my (Canonical's) ubuntu desktop, my (Google's) chromebook, my (Apple's) macbook, my (T-Mobile/Google's) android phone, etc, etc, precisely because of auto-update. i appreciate that they want to be my sysadm, but it means that i'm no longer an informed consumer. On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM, ron minnich wrote: > I have a different perspective. There are millions of chromebooks out > there updating all the time, from the firmware to the kernel to the > root file system to everything. It all works. > > If you are telling me that the upgrade technology of Plan 9 can not > handle an automatic upgrade, fine; we have the proof. > > If you are telling me Plan 9 should not or never will be able to > handle an automatic upgrade, and is going to require a heads up email > for each kernel change, I have a hard time taking that seriously. > > This is not a human communication problem. It's a technology problem, > trivially solved for many years now by many systems. > > ron > >