You can dump the acme session at will and reload it to restore the session; that combined with pxeloading a term or using drawterm, you almost don't have to worry about losing your work or where you are. You can also use P9P acme and import/fusemount the the Plan 9 fileserver with the same effect. My home setup is a couple of Intel atom servers; one for Auth/Fileserver (fossil+venti) and the other is a CPU (with a backup venti). There are a couple of RPi3's pxeloading the term kernel. A Microtik RB tftp/bootp loads a cpu kernel; it is the token MIPS machine (maybe VCore2 is supported some day). There are a couple of dormant (and noisy) x86 rackmount servers that pxeboot cpu's for when I need a bit more oomph. Linux and MacOS laptops have P9P and drawterm. I tend to fusemount the filesystem when I'm using those. On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 8:22 AM, Rudolf Sykora wrote: > Hello, > > I am not sure this email ever made it to the forum, > hence I decided to ask once more... > > Thanks for any comments... > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > From: Rudolf Sykora > Date: 16 June 2016 at 10:30 > Subject: ubiquitous environment? > To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net> > > > Hello, everyone, > > I read the following some time ago and now got back to it. > It's from an interview with Russ Cox. > https://usesthis.com/interviews/russ.cox/ > > -------------- > The thing I miss most about Plan 9 was the way that no matter which > computer you sat down at, you had the same environment. Because we > were working off a shared file server - there were no local disks on > the Plan 9 workstations - you could go home and log in and all your > work was there waiting. Of course, it only worked because we had good, > fast connectivity to the file server, and only file state - not > application state - transferred, but it was still a huge win. > > Today it's taken for granted that everyone has local files on disk and > you need programs like Unison or Dropbox (or for the power users, > Mercurial or Git) to synchronize them, but what we had in Plan 9 was > completely effortless, and my dream is to return to that kind of > environment. I want to be working on my home desktop, realize what > time it is, run out the door to catch my train, open my laptop on the > train, continue right where I left off, close the laptop, hop off the > train, sit down at work, and have all my state sitting there on the > monitor on my desk, all without even thinking about it. > -------------- > > Has anyone tried a setup like that? -- Having a server at work and > working on it even from home/anywhere? And how is it set up? Does it mean > that wherever you sit you somehow mount the window system to get > to the exactly same state that you left the machine in? > (Ie. something like a screen/tmux but supplied by the system itself?) > > Thanks for any comments! > > Ruda > >