Just use cb(1) and follow the house style. http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/1/cb On Apr 7, 2018 1:21 PM, "Ori Bernstein" wrote: On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 19:00:37 +0300, 8halfan@airmail.cc wrote: > Just an amateur C programmer looking for answers. My main inspirations for > code style is K&R 2nd edition and I'm curious about the instructions in Plan > 9's style(6) manual page (for reference, > http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/6/style). I've > tried to think about the motivations, but not everything is as clear as > it seems. The manpage explains the reasoning: Ultimately, the goal is to write code that fits in with the other code around it and the system as a whole. So, most of the answers to your questions are simply that someone had a preference early on. They wrote the code. If you want your code to fit in with theirs, this is how to do it. -- Ori Bernstein