Well it's not that simple, the X11 version uses freetype2 and fontconfig to read/render TrueType fonts.. The OS X is probably doing something similar with Apple's APIs On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Friedrich Psiorz wrote: > I would really like to have fontsrv in native Plan 9. It's nice to be > able to simply download a font or copy it from a unix system and use it > without going through conversion. It would also de-facto introduce a > usable interface to rendering ttf fonts on the fly. This could be a nice > feature in many applications, e.g. abaco or document viewers. > Even for simple conversion, it would be a much nicer interface than > ttf2subf. > > I don't think you would have to change anything about the surrounding > system ... isn't that the whole point for fontsrv? If I didn't > misunderstand, it's just a virtual file system that converts ttf fonts > to the Plan 9 pixel font format transparently. > > ~Fritz > > Am 12.12.2013 12:45, schrieb lucio@proxima.alt.za: > > I didn't pay any attention to p9p's fontsrv (sorry, Andrey! It was > > you that got that off the ground, wasn't it?) until this morning's > > discussion, but it struck me as a very neat solution for a problem > > that has been bugging me for a long time: avoiding the time consuming > > repeated installation of Plan 9 fonts. Specifically, p9p itself and > > local instances of 9vx could be smaller and the installation (and > > download, in most cases) would be quicker. > > > > The question then becomes whether fontsrv could be "ported" to Plan 9 > > together with the supporting facilities (openfont(2) is my guess)? I > > certainly would be willing to give such port a try, if I can be > > convinced that it is not beyond my ability. > > > > ++L > > > > > > > > > > >