* [9fans] Connect plan9 with Linux SMB resource
@ 2022-04-10  7:45 Tomás S. Javaloyes
From: Tomás S. Javaloyes @ 2022-04-10  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello everyone,

Let me introduce myself: My name is Tomás and I have been interested
in Plan9 for some time. My aim is to have the knowledge of the system
to set up with 6 raspberry's Pi 3B+ with PoE power a small learning
grid using one of the Raspberrys with a 480GB SSD as a file server,
dhcp server and bootp service for the rest, another Raspberry diskless
to be the authorization server, three more as cpu servers and the last
one as terminal with river and keyboard and mouse; all this together
with the PoE switch in a box for Raspberry's clusters from C4labs that
I just bought...

But to do that you first have to learn how to use the system and
that's why I have a virtualbox with 9front installed and I'm learning
how to use it.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to connect with 'cifs' from
9front/plan9 to a Linux SMB share that pretends to be a Windows domain
(exactly a Zentyal distro) but I can't get it to work:

I try to connect and I get the following:

term% cifs 192.168.1.10 shared folder

!Adding key: proto=ntmmv2 service=cifs windom=MYDOMAIN
user[glenda]=<my_username>
password: <mypassword>

cifs: session authentication failed, invalid parameter

term%

I've even tried it with an SMB without as much complexity as Zentyal
(a simple SMB share with a guest user) and I still don't know how to
connect it.

I've read the cifs manual but I'm not sure what options to use and
I've searched the Internet for a similar example and I can't find any.

Can someone guide me in the right direction?

* Re: [9fans] Connect plan9 with Linux SMB resource
@ 2022-04-10  9:15 ` mkf9
From: mkf9 @ 2022-04-10  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

maybe try another auth protocol?
i haven't tried samba, but on windows ntlm worked for me
(ntlmv2 didn't, maybe they changed ntlmv2 at some point?)

% cifs -a ntlm host share

@ 2022-04-10  9:46   ` Tomás S. Javaloyes
From: Tomás S. Javaloyes @ 2022-04-10  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, I've tried using all the authentication methods it claims to support:

term% cifs -a
supported auth methods: plain lm+ntml ntlm ntlmv2
term%

...but without success

Supposedly with the default authentication (ntlmv2) it should work
based on comments I've found on the Internet from users who tried that
at the time.

@ 2022-04-10 10:18     ` Atticus
From: Atticus @ 2022-04-10 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I get failures when cifs(4) attempts protocol negotiation with Samba
4.14.12 on OpenBSD 7-stable, Windows 10, and Server 2019.
cifs(4) itself hasn't seen any commits since 2019, and may be awfully
out-of-date compared to the latest rubbish out of Redmond. I'm also not
aware of anyone that actually uses it regularly.
With Samba you may be able to tweak the protocol version and authentication
stuff, but I wouldn't count on that working, especially not in a domain
configuration.

If you just need to move files back and forth between your desktop and your
9front system, drawterm handles that by making the local system available
under /mnt/term.
There are also 9p servers available that can provide that service as well,
such as https://github.com/Harvey-OS/ninep/cmd/ufs which is written in Go,
so works on basically all major platforms.

There is also an NFS client and server available in 9front which may serve
your needs as well.

* Re: [9fans] Connect plan9 with Linux SMB resource
@ 2022-04-10 10:58       ` Tomás S. Javaloyes
From: Tomás S. Javaloyes @ 2022-04-10 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's sad news to hear that... :_( At least it means I was doing it correctly...

From what I've read I know that people usually do it the other way
around: that Plan9 be the one that offers the service (through the
services you mention), but as a novice user I wanted to carry out a
communication test between systems and the most simple to configure
quickly was that the current equipment (Linux with SMB or a Win10 with
a shared resource) offered the service and "the newcomer" (Plan9)
connected against them...

I will continue to learn the use of Plan9. My next challenge: learn to
configure the factotum service and what is needed to connect with
drawterm from a Linux or a Win10. I still don't fully understand the
factotum and how Plan9 works... I still have a way to go...

Thanks for the information...

El dom, 10 abr 2022 a las 12:19, Atticus (<grobe0ba@gmail.com>) escribió:

> I get failures when cifs(4) attempts protocol negotiation with Samba 4.14.12 on OpenBSD 7-stable, Windows 10, and Server 2019.
> cifs(4) itself hasn't seen any commits since 2019, and may be awfully out-of-date compared to the latest rubbish out of Redmond. I'm also not aware of anyone that actually uses it regularly.
> With Samba you may be able to tweak the protocol version and authentication stuff, but I wouldn't count on that working, especially not in a domain configuration.
>
> If you just need to move files back and forth between your desktop and your 9front system, drawterm handles that by making the local system available under /mnt/term.
> There are also 9p servers available that can provide that service as well, such as https://github.com/Harvey-OS/ninep/cmd/ufs which is written in Go, so works on basically all major platforms.
>
> There is also an NFS client and server available in 9front which may serve your needs as well.
> 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options Permalink

* Re: [9fans] factotum (was: Connect plan9 with Linux SMB resource)
@ 2022-04-10 11:22         ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-04-10 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

fatotum is quite easy, since it's a client as a filesystem.

The "real" server you can set up (but it's optional) is the secstore
server which persistently holds your keys.

factotum just uses these keys (or the ones you entered manually or read
in through a custom mechanism, e.g. a file) to handle all the
authentication stuff you want to use.

So in the end, factotum is very easy. Just start it in your namespace and
the programs will automatically use it. You can also run auth/fgui in a
rio to have a nice entry box for new keys. Really, the complex thing is
managing the namespace, which is the most important thing in Plan 9
anyways, so you should definitely learn it.

Common start point for factotum is, run it in your lib/profile. I believe
it's the standard lib/profile configuration to start the factotum in a
terminal session and import the terminal factotum in a cpu session.

There's plenty of resources about factotum and auth in Plan 9 systems. Do
yourself a favor and read the papers (/sys/doc/). Also I'm sure that
almost all Plan 9 users can give you hints and tips about it since it's
an integral part of the system.

On my very first Plan 9 laptop I btw just had my keys stored in a plain
file, unencrypted.

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] factotum (was: Connect plan9 with Linux SMB resource)
@ 2022-04-10 12:14           ` Tomás S. Javaloyes
From: Tomás S. Javaloyes @ 2022-04-10 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You are absolutely right: the documentation offered in /sys/doc offers
a lot of useful information to understand how Plan9 works.

One of the first documents I read was the "Plan 9 From Bell Labs" and
just after almost the entire "book" DASH 1 from 9front.org because it
is "the flavor" of Plan9 that I have installed in my VirtualBox where
following the installation chapter I had no problem having a working
system.

Then I dedicated myself to "playing" a bit. Learn enough about acme to
be able to 'mount' the 9fat partition and configure a boot without
prompting user, figure out how to activate my spanish keyboard and
have fun trying commands, 'installing' some application (vdir,
netsurf, rd) and getting used to using the mouse and adding 'widgets'
(clock, list of processes) to the 'desktop'... It has reminded me of
the times when Linux came along and I installed slackware in '94 with
its 20-and -many floppies and that feeling of 'exploring' ;-)

I am going to document myself more and see if I am able to advance...

@ 2022-04-10 14:05             ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2022-04-10 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i am the author of cifs.

i may have some slightly more recent fixes than 9 front has, i will check.

the manual page does explain some registry settings you may need to tweak to get it to work - to do with windows getting more and more restrictive about the authentication protocols it supports.

the bottom line is i had cifs working to windows 10 a couple of years ago but these days i have a mac for work so i no longer need it.

to tell the truth i have become a go programmer which is great, but also a little sad, as i have mostly left plan9 development behind.

i will report in a day or two if i have any patches to contribute.

-Steve

@ 2022-04-10 17:39               ` Tomás S. Javaloyes
From: Tomás S. Javaloyes @ 2022-04-10 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you for dedicating a little of your time to review cifs :-)

I will be alert to updates to test again trying to connect via cifs to
various scenarios: Win10, Zentyal Linux (domain) and a small machine
with MX Linux 21 installed only for tests with Plan9 and cifs with a
share as 'guest'.