Hi all, For context, I am a plan 9 novice - I've played around just enough to add jury-rigged background-image support for rio (for better or worse), implore sl - if I remember correctly - to add the ^B option to 9front's rc that brings the cursor to the current input place, and, for what it's worth, create this: http://i.imgur.com/6iiF3zi.png. I've been wondering about how the web - specifically, the browser as a platform for applications - would have been different had plan 9 become a significant influence in operating systems in the early 90s. I've come to the point where I thought a discussion here might be enjoyable and enlightening, hopefully even to the point of dispelling the playful ribbing that this mailing list may or may not be dead. If this conversation has already occurred, my apologies. The improvement I think plan 9 could have brought to the early web is in allowing the browser to have remained, as I understand it to have been, a medium for mark-up text and images, and have the OS act as the platform for web applications. The process I'm thinking of would be, with the example of a banking application: the user opens the bank's web page in a plan 9 browser; the user clicks a 'login' link; that link is sent to the plumber, which detects it as a web application link and directs it to a service which: - sandboxes it, perhaps by using a 'web' user or just modifying the namespace to show the process a limited set of information; - sets the namespace to prefer any libraries that are on the remote bank machine, allowing the application to always run with the environment the application developers intended; - sets the namespace to include any files the application needs from the remote sandbox, e.g. a directory with the user's banking files. As a result of this, it seems that much of the hooplah around flash, webGL, javascript, etc. could have been avoided, and that web applications from yesteryear could still run today (for better or worse), since they could control their environment. Web programming would have also have started off with far greater ability, instead of having being limited by the abilities of its browser platform and waiting years for even simple things to be standardized. Web games, video-streaming applications, etc. on par with local applications could have been launched as soon as the infrastructure could support them, as the providers could just program the application to do whatever the OS allowed. It also seems it would avoid cookies and other privacy issues, since applications would be sandboxed to only know about the things they have available to them. That said, having had discussions with friends in web development, they have expressed concerns about ease-of-use and their initial interest in the field - if I understand correctly, they feel that html's ease of modification and immediate gratification was beneficial to getting them into programming, which - while my understanding of this community is that here it's not a highly valued thing - is, I think an important point to address. They are application developers, and the web had aspects system languages did not which attracted them. Again, if these thoughts are obvious, my apologies, and if it's deeply flawed, my apologies - but I'd be interested in hearing why. Thanks for your time, Mars