From: Uriel <uriel@berlinblue.org>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] 8c and elf shared libraries
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:40:24 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis
<eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:15:26 +0100
> "Steve Simon" <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>
>> Various projects have worked on 8c to make it generate code for other OSs,
>> have any of these resulted in code that could generate a very _very_ simple
>> ELF shared library sutiable for linux?
>>
>> -Steve
>>

> The 8l in Go can produce ELF binaries -- it's the linker rather than
> the compiler you want to look at for this. Last I heard, Go's 8l wasn't
> compatible with Plan 9's 8c, but there's an 8c in Go so that doesn't
> matter too much. I'm sure some Go fans want to use system C libraries
> by dynamic linking, but I'm not so sure about producing a linkable
> library.

There has been demand for this in Go-land for a long time, see:
http://code.google.com/p/go/issues/detail?id=256

I'm sure many people, including the core Go team, would be very happy
if somebody worked on this.

Even given my visceral hatred for dynamic linking, this would be quite
useful for things like creating Python modules in Go and other such
tasks.

So please, if you are going to work on this feature for other reasons,
consider doing it via improving the Go toolchain.

Uriel