From: Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Sam arena allocators
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 08:29:29 +1000	[thread overview]

After Acme was written, I replaced most of the buffer management code in
Sam with that from Acme, which was more efficient - it did the database
stuff in a different order that was one pass quicker. It's possible the old
code used an arena allocator, I don't remember, but it's possible you're
referring to the code in samterm, which grew up on the Blit and likely had
some compacting arena management code in it to keep the memory footprint
small. As always, though, my memory may be faulty; it compacts too often.

-rob