* [9fans] Codebase navigation and using tags files in acme
@ 2021-08-17 20:22 Ben Hancock
From: Ben Hancock @ 2021-08-17 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

I've just recently started using the acme editor and am really enjoying
it, and trying to get the hang of the "acme way" of doing things. One
bit of functionality that I'm familiar with from other editors is the
ability to easily look up a function or symbol definition within a
codebase. In Emacs and vi, this is done by generating tags files (etags
or ctags), which those editors can parse and allow you to easily jump to
a definition of the symbol under the point/cursor.

What's the preferred method or workflow for achieving this in acme? I
have tried passing a selected symbol to 'g -n' in the window's tag,
using the Mouse-2 + Mouse-1 chord. That gets me part of the way there
but isn't effective if the file where the symbol is defined happens to
be in another directory. I feel like I'm missing something.

Many thanks!

- Ben

--
Ben Hancock
www.benghancock.com

* Re: [9fans] Codebase navigation and using tags files in acme
@ 2021-08-18  6:52 ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-08-18  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello Ben,

17.08.2021 22:22:09 Ben Hancock <ben@benghancock.com>:
> I've just recently started using the acme editor and am really enjoying
> it, and trying to get the hang of the "acme way" of doing things. One
> bit of functionality that I'm familiar with from other editors is the
> ability to easily look up a function or symbol definition within a
> codebase. In Emacs and vi, this is done by generating tags files (etags
> or ctags), which those editors can parse and allow you to easily jump
> to a definition of the symbol under the point/cursor.

The original developers of Plan 9 software were people who made simple
things even simpler so they can understand them. Imagine your codebase is
so small that you can know many symbols and have other symbols open or at
least know where to look. Using g(rep) in the parent directory of your
project and your brain should be enough. If it isn't your project might
be too complex/large.

(That's different when reading other code or revisiting code after a long
time, but then you are supposed to read it again so you can understand it
anyway.)

> What's the preferred method or workflow for achieving this in acme? I
> have tried passing a selected symbol to 'g -n' in the window's tag,
> using the Mouse-2 + Mouse-1 chord. That gets me part of the way there
> but isn't effective if the file where the symbol is defined happens to
> be in another directory. I feel like I'm missing something.

I doubt you are missing something. People used to use text editor since
there were no IDEs, and keep in mind that the core of unix was written
with ed, maybe even on teletypes. It's like writing code on paper, and it
works.

My advise is, read and produce good clean code. If you need syntax
highlighting and fancy IDE stuff your codebase is probably too large.
With more training you can work with larger codebases, but still they to
keep it simple and small. If you really need to work with extremely
complex codebases you likely won't find success using plan9 at all.

Many plan9 tools are one C file only. In acme you can jump between
selected text by right clicking it, which works very well in these cases.
Right clicking included files opens them and you can search there. These
are basically the tools you have.

I'm personally very happy reading man pages and searching the plan 9
source with g(rep) and plumbing the results.

I hope this helps.

Oh, and you can always write your own tools and call them using
middle-click in acme. You could write an rc-script that cd..s to your
project home directory (if it's a git repo, the one containing .git) and
invokes g, for example.

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] Codebase navigation and using tags files in acme
@ 2021-08-18  9:12   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-08-18  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If you really need to work with extremely
> complex codebases you likely won't find success using plan9 at all.

When I need to scrabble around in the go source tree, I usually have
something like this in a window (it could go in an acme guide file)

    grep -n 'func XXX' `{du -a | awk '/\.go$/ {print $2}'} .

which I edit and execute as needed.

* Re: [9fans] Codebase navigation and using tags files in acme
@ 2021-08-18  9:13   ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2021-08-18  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that's a long winded way of saying 'use the plumber'

@ 2021-08-18  9:17     ` Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave via 9fans
From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave via 9fans @ 2021-08-18  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello

You might be interested in <https://github.com/fhs/acme-lsp> which
implements a laguange server protocol client for acme.

gabi

@ 2021-08-18  9:25       ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2021-08-18  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

% cat bin/f
#!/bin/sh

9 grep -i -n '^func (\([^)]+\) )?'$1'\(' *.go /dev/null
% cat bin/t
#!/bin/sh

9 grep -i -n '^type '$1' ' *.go /dev/null

% cat bin/cf
#!/bin/sh

csearch -n -f '\.go$' '^func (\([^)]+\) )?'$1'\('
% cat bin/ct
#!/bin/sh

csearch -n -f '\.go$' '^type '$1

* Re: [9fans] Codebase navigation and using tags files in acme
@ 2021-08-18  9:26 ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2021-08-18  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On linux, you can run ctags -x and postprocess the file to append the line
number to the file name instead of having i as a separate field. That way,
you can locate the symbol in the tags file, and right-click on the
file:linenumber.

Also, on linux, we have acme-lsp, which in principle works with any LSP
server. I have tested it with go and C/C++.

@ 2021-08-18 16:01         ` Ben Hancock
From: Ben Hancock @ 2021-08-18 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

My sincere thanks to everyone on the thread for their helpful tips and
perspective, with special gratitude to Rob Pike for sharing his handy
scripts -- and for creating sam and acme!

Best,

- Ben

--

@ 2021-08-19  3:51   ` 6o205zd02
From: 6o205zd02 @ 2021-08-19  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I had never heard of acme-lsp and LSP (except as a Microsoft internal
thing) until gabi mentioned it earlier in the thread.  I'm interesting
in playing with acme-lsp for C++.  Which LSP server do you use for C/C++
(I see several listed at https://langserver.org/)?

     thanks,
     Peter

On 2021-08-18 02:26, Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

@ 2021-08-19  7:29     ` igor
From: igor @ 2021-08-19  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: igor

Quoth 6o205zd02@sneakemail.com:
> I had never heard of acme-lsp and LSP (except as a Microsoft internal
> thing) until gabi mentioned it earlier in the thread.  I'm interesting
> in playing with acme-lsp for C++.  Which LSP server do you use for C/C++
> (I see several listed at https://langserver.org/)?

ccls works with acme-lsp.

You might find this useful for the LSP/C++/acme use case:

 - https://9lab.org/9port/acme-with-lsp/

* Re: [9fans] Codebase navigation and using tags files in acme
@ 2021-08-19 11:44         ` Maurizio Boriani
From: Maurizio Boriani @ 2021-08-19 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Rob Pike writes:

> % cat bin/cf
> #!/bin/sh
>
> csearch -n -f '\.go$' '^func (\([^)]+\) )?'$1'\('

thanks a lot! But... what's csearch?

best,

--
Maurizio Boriani
GPG key: 0xCC0FBF8F

* Re: [9fans] Codebase navigation and using tags files in acme
@ 2021-08-19 11:49           ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2021-08-19 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: baux; +Cc: 9fans

I am guessing:
https://github.com/google/codesearch/blob/master/cmd/csearch/csearch.go

@ 2021-08-19 18:59           ` unobe
From: unobe @ 2021-08-19 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Maurizio Boriani <baux@boriani.cloud>:

> Rob Pike writes:
>
> > % cat bin/cf
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > csearch -n -f '\.go$' '^func (\([^)]+\) )?'$1'\('
>
> thanks a lot! But... what's csearch?

Possibly https://manpages.debian.org/testing/codesearch/csearch.1.en.html

* Re: [9fans] Codebase navigation and using tags files in acme
@ 2021-08-19 19:00             ` unobe
From: unobe @ 2021-08-19 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth unobe@cpan.org:
> Quoth Maurizio Boriani <baux@boriani.cloud>:
> > thanks a lot! But... what's csearch?
>
> Possibly https://manpages.debian.org/testing/codesearch/csearch.1.en.html

Igonre--the other post, mentioning the go package is more likely.

* Re: [9fans] Codebase navigation and using tags files in acme
@ 2021-08-19 20:41               ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2021-08-19 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It is Russ Cox's code search suite: https://github.com/google/codesearch

@ 2021-08-20 10:55     ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 2021-08-20 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I use clangd. Works very well in general. Using it is simple, you launch
clangd via acme-lsp like this:
acme-lsp -server '(\.h)|(\.cc)$:/home/ole/bin/clangd_10.0.0/bin/clangd
--clang-tidy --background-index --cross-file-rename' -workspaces
/home/ole/xcomtest

@ 2021-08-20 23:08       ` a
From: a @ 2021-08-20 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I did port Exuberant ctags several years ago when I was
dealing with a large body of unfamiliar code for a
project. Mine is here:
        http://9p.io/sources/contrib/anothy/src/ctags/
It is a pretty straight-forward port, just adding an
output type suitable for acme (file:n). About a year
ago (I think?) someone told me that they did an
updated port, but I can't find the reference quickly.
Personally, I find ctags (and similar tools) useful
only in extreme circumstances, and otherwise rely only
on acme's built-in matching and a few scripts similar
to what's been posted here.

* Re: [9fans] Codebase navigation and using tags files in acme
@ 2021-08-20 23:31         ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2021-08-20 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I wrote a bit of lex to extract features from c code. being lex it is incomplete to say the least but i found it good enough.

my code used to run every night passed a list of files to parse, and wrote an idenifier, comment, function, #define etc database (2 text files) which i could grep through.

i used it when i worked supporting solaris, it allowed me to find error messages and functions anywhere in the sourcecode quickly.

i haven't run it in years but maybe it is of use to someone.

http://www.quintile.net/pkg/xid.tbz

-Steve