I am a little late on the reply to this Steve, but most of the ideas from the list below were observations turned suggestions of mine compiled from around 2003 when I was studying Plan 9. There would have been less code in the contrib at that stage... for one... fgb seems to have most of his work around the 2006-2008 time /Conor --------------------- - A device driver for Plan 9 for an unsupported device - A GUI builder for the Plan 9 control graphics library - Porting of the Tcl tool-kit Tk and the Tk GUI builder Xf - VRML support for the Httpd - Writing of an editor similar to Vi for Plan 9 - An Html front end to the PQ database system. This would involve adding PQ support to the Httpd - Java support for Plan 9 - A lockable screen saver for Plan 9 - Mpeg support for Plan 9 - Addition of load balancing support into Plan 9 On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Steve Simon wrote: > FWIW > > vi does run on plan9 - fgb did a curses port and > vim runs under that, various people turn in their graves > if you try to use it however. > > there is also a lockable screensaver called screenlock(1) > > what kind of MPEG support do you want? Audio support is not bad, > I have a port of an aac audio decoder and there is mp3 encoders > and decoders. > > Mpeg2 video should not be too hard, Mpeg4, H264, etc are nastier > but where do you stop. there is a new encoding standard per month > these days. > > -Steve > >