From: Mark van Atten <vanattenmark@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] drawterm osx-x11 on x86_64
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 10:05:59 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:

> Will one of you describe the flicker you speak of?  I see flicker on
> Linux’s drawterm X11 when resizing rio windows and other operations,
> given the round trip time, though the flicker is less on fast local
> networks.

You are right, of course, that the presence of flicker may depend on
various things, and my original message was too elliptic.

I drawterm only to a virtual machine on the same computer.

My setup: Mac Mini Late 2012 with 10.8.5. Virtual machine:  Virtualbox
4.3.0, Bell Labs iso, 1024MB system memory, VT-x/AMD-V and Nested
Paging on, 32 MB video memory, Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop bridged
adapter en1 Wi-Fi (AirPort). Mountain Lion's DHCP server enabled.

Drawterm for osx-x11 built from the current sources at
http://code.google.com/p/drawterm/
Drawterm for osx-cocoa built from the current sources at
https://bitbucket.org/jas/drawterm-cocoa

In the cocoa version, when sweeping a rio window all borders will
flicker continuously.  On resizing with B1 or B2, in addition to the
flicker,  border lines will fail to meet or meet but not at the
corner. All this independently of window size and sweep speed. When
creating a new window in sam, three or all corners always break open a
little.

In the x11 version, when sweeping normally, there will be no flicker
at any size, and, when sweeping quickly, flicker on one side only (the
side where the mouse pointer is). I haven't seen border lines fail to
meet or meet at the wrong place, whether in rio or in sam.

Mark.