Sounds good. D On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 12:19 PM Jacob Moody wrote: > On 5/15/24 10:56, Don Bailey wrote: > > Yeah but that's the thing... "explained in this list" works while the > discussion is being had. But searching for that and attempting to grok the > discussion and the context of discussion at a later date? Not so much. Some > centralized documentation should be used to make these decisions clear. In > the commit messages is not sufficient, either. One still must search > through the commit messages and identify the branch/context/etc. Plus, you > have to /know/ about what you are looking for, if something > > was removed. A separate document that outlines these > removed/altered/added items, and the rationale/context, would solve that. > Does that help illuminate the problem I'm discussing? > > Who exactly is the audience here? If the audience is developers then the > commit message is fine, if someone wants to know why code was changed that > is where you put the reasoning. > People here like to work on code, less so on writing up whatever > justification you personally feel is sufficient to warrant whatever we're > doing. I already stated that I think > these days more rationale and notice would be given to people for a change > that big, things are trending towards what I think you want. > > If however you (or someone else) wanted to do what you are asking us to > do, which is spend the significant time it takes to demonstrably prove that > fossil is _not_ busted > as we think it is and present it to us that would make for a compelling > argument for inclusion. Perhaps what you do could become the standard for > how these large changes > are documented going forward. > > Or if you'd like to start with a fork and/or raise your own community with > this high level of standard for code changes I would absolutely encourage > you to do so, if > that is truly a better way of doing open source then it will be evident. > But right now I can't help but read this as asking us (people writing code > for 9front) to do > more work to appease you when you are not interested in helping get that > work done. > ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tad3dc0c93039a7d2-Ma45e0253b479829aece635bc Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription