I'm not sure what all this was, so I didn't read most of it. If 9front becomes the "mainline" 9, I will stop using 9 altogether. Both as a user and a developer. I trust the sources that come from 9legacy/9pio but I don't have any interest in the mess of whatever 9front is supposed to be. D On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 11:40 AM hiro via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net> wrote: > > I am not a fan of the weird 9front split from the standard repo. I’d > prefer the sources to be managed by the foundation and would like to only > receive patches through them. > > Are you speaking as part of the foundation? As a developer? Or as a User? > > Me, as a user, I would also appreciate if the foundation (or the real > bell-labs unix room heritage, before the foundation existed) would > "manage" something. for example development and continuous hosting of > the sources server. This doesn't seem to be the case. > > I also would appreciate the making available of patches by the > foundation. I have no clue where their codebase is moving in the last > few years as there was no single commit (or even simple patch via > email) received from them. > > I think the reason the 9front repo is continuing to stay split "off" > is because the bell-labs servers have all been shut down. As a result > the community has stepped in to donate their own time, money, server > resources, sweat and blood, etc. to keep a usable plan 9 version and > community (that is willing to stay patches) alive. > > It is extremely unfortunate, but the pressure behind the freely > contributed code ended up being stronger than the ability to negotiate > with the empty halls of bell-labs. So as a result lots of community > members are able to contribute quite effectively. > > To me the legend of what must have been the unix room will always stay > alive, and I will continue to use it as a benchmark to measure my own > team's success against. But if I cannot be part of the group of cool > kids that came out of this, I can at least have my own bell-labs, with > blackjack and hookers. In my head. > > Don, I wish you great technical collaborations. At least this is what > I have came here for, and have tried to take what caused awe in me and > keep them alive and infect others with all that. Maybe you can submit > another patch to sources some day soon. > > hiro ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T42f11e0265bcfa18-M49c3ee9d437d123d75160dc8 Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription