Direction comes from people writing code... but you write code for 9front, yes? What does that have to do with mainline Plan 9? And what does that have to do with the direction set forth by the people that actually designed it? On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 7:20 AM wrote: > This email suffers from a lack of semicolons; > > Bell labs is extremely dead at this point, and > direction comes from people writing code; once > the work begins, people are sometimes willing to > help -- but only once work begins. > > Quoth vic.thacker@fastmail.fm: > > Dear 9fans, as enthusiasts and experts of Plan 9, you are undoubtedly > aware of the unique position this operating system holds in the world of > distributed computing. Its influence on modern computing paradigms is > undeniable. In the spirit of continuing this legacy, the prospect of Plan 9 > Release 5 beckons, offering a pathway to not just preserve but also enhance > our beloved system. This essay aims to articulate the rationale for Plan 9 > Release 5, focusing on the need for modernization, the potential for > innovation, and the practical considerations that align with our shared > passions and expertise. > > > > The Need for Modernization > > > > Technological Evolution: > > We've all witnessed the dramatic shifts in technology since Plan 9's > last iteration. To keep Plan 9 at the forefront of utility and innovation, > it's essential to adapt and update our system in line with the latest > advancements in hardware, networking, and programming languages. This > evolution is crucial to ensure that Plan 9 remains an indispensable tool in > our modern tech toolkit. > > > > Security Enhancements: > > In our ever-connected world, the sophistication of cyber threats is a > reality we cannot ignore. It is imperative that Plan 9 evolves to include > cutting-edge security protocols, safeguarding our systems and the unique > work we do from emerging cyber risks. > > > > Hardware Compatibility: > > The advent of new hardware architectures is an exciting challenge for > us. Updating Plan 9 to support these new platforms means not only > preserving its usability but also expanding our horizons to new forms of > computing, something we, as 9fans, have always embraced. > > > > Fostering Innovation > > > > Research and Education: > > Plan 9’s novel approach to system design and distributed computing has > always been a beacon for academic research and education. A new release > would re-energize our academic endeavors, offering a modern platform for > continued exploration and learning, pushing the boundaries of what we can > achieve with Plan 9. > > > > Community Engagement: > > A new version of Plan 9 stands to reinvigorate our community. This is an > opportunity to deepen our engagement, attract new talent, and foster a > richer ecosystem around our shared passion. The development of Plan 9 > Release 5 could be a rallying point for our community, sparking new > collaborations and innovations. > > > > Showcasing Plan 9’s Potential: > > Plan 9 Release 5 would be a powerful statement of our system's > capabilities, especially in burgeoning fields like cloud computing, IoT, > and distributed systems. This is our chance to demonstrate the adaptability > and forward-thinking design of Plan 9 to the wider world. > > > > Practical Considerations > > > > Resource Allocation: > > We understand the importance of efficient resource management in > bringing Plan 9 Release 5 to fruition. This means tapping into our > collective knowledge, drawing on community contributions, and possibly > exploring new partnerships or funding avenues. > > > > Backward Compatibility: > > Maintaining backward compatibility is essential to honor our past work > and ensure a smooth transition. We must respect the legacy of Plan 9 while > charting a course for its future. > > > > Documentation and Support: > > Enhanced documentation and support are crucial for the success of this > new release. As a community, we can collaborate to create resources that > will aid in adoption and usability, ensuring Plan 9 Release 5 becomes a > tool we can all be proud of. > > > > Conclusion > > > > The creation of Plan 9 Release 5 is more than a technological update; > it’s a reaffirmation of our commitment to a system that has long been at > the vanguard of computing innovation. This initiative is a step towards > ensuring Plan 9's continued relevance, security, and functionality in the > modern era. It's an opportunity to broaden its impact in the realms of > research, education, and beyond. As 9fans, we have the passion, the > knowledge, and the community to make this a reality, honoring the legacy of > Plan 9 while shaping its future. Let's embark on this journey together, > shaping the next chapter in the Plan 9 story. > > > > > > Thank you for dedicating your time and attention. > > --vic > > > > On Thu, Jan 25, 2024, at 05:48, Jacob Moody wrote: > > > On 1/24/24 14:28, Michael Grunditz wrote: > > >> I have looked at the reform code and I like how it is done. I think > that it would be easy to use for porting 9legacy or in fact any system. But > it is more work than a recompile. > > >> > > >> Michael > > > > > > It is certainly not drag and drop. Getting the arm64 compiler and > > > linker working on > > > 9legacy is already not what I would consider trivial due to drift in > > > /sys/src/cmd/cc. > > > So yes if you have enough understanding on how to work with and debug > > > the compiler, the linker, and > > > the kernel then perhaps you could call it "easy". I'll believe it when > > > I see it. > > > ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T42f11e0265bcfa18-Ma1c3a5392521b3f3bea77223 Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription