Sounds like you're happy keeping 9front separate from "mainline", then. Works for me :-) On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 12:20 PM Jacob Moody wrote: > On 1/25/24 09:35, Don Bailey wrote: > > Direction comes from people writing code... but you write code for > 9front, yes? What does that have to do with mainline Plan 9? And what does > that have to do with the direction set forth by the people that actually > designed it? > > There is no "path for patches" in 9legacy, if I wanted to write code for > "mainline Plan 9" who do > I send to code to? Who is going to help review and bug test my code. You > mentioned earlier that > you had ported Plan 9 to other systems, is that code available anywhere, > was that upstreamed into > "mainline Plan 9". 9front happened, as Ori stated, because there was no > path forward with "mainline > Plan 9". > > When I looked in to Plan 9 some 5ish years ago and looking at both camps > of folks it was clear to me > that one group was going to look at my patches, work on my hardware, and > had an active community. > > If y'all wanted to set up a pipeline for patches, encourage folks to send > in their patches and make > some repo for folks to work on then yeah sure. But right now there really > isn't a comparison between > what "mainline plan 9" is and 9front, one is a museum and the other is a > living distribution. There is > of course Miller's branch, which I respect as being active and actually > usable, but I have a feeling you > don't consider that "mainline plan 9" either. > > Look man, be the change you want to see in the world, setup the repo, > review patches, merge new code, et > all. Getting mad at us for writing the code and keeping stuff working is a > bit silly, especially if your > only reason is that we aren't the "blessed few". Those folks as far as I > can tell are not interested in > this anymore, we're on our own here. There are clearly some folks > interested here in continuing "mainline > plan 9" why not work together and get something that is easier for folks > to use? 9front will continue to > be over here with a ten year plus head start. > > - moody > ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T42f11e0265bcfa18-M4b5f9413c29bdca94e2f565f Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription