It would be nice to have something like old Oberon OS had; I think acme was inspired in part by it (I may be wrong). Some time ago, I had some ideas on windowing design; were anyone interested, they're here: http/www.gli.cas.cz/home/cejchan/plan9/newUI.pdf http/www.gli.cas.cz/home/cejchan/plan9/newUI+page.pdf http/www.gli.cas.cz/home/cejchan/plan9/newUI+page-fullscreen.pdf Best regards, Peter. On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Shane Morris wrote: > Cohesive compilation of hacks? > > > On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Bence Fábián wrote: > >> We already have a lot of hacks to make rio tiling. >> In my opinion the most interesting/worthwhile >> projects mentioned on that wiki is to make things >> touchscreen friendly. >> >> >> 2014-03-19 9:36 GMT+01:00 Caleb Malchik : >> >> Greetings, >>> >>> I am a student interested in participating in GSoC under Plan 9. My >>> project would involve writing a new window manager as an alternative to rio: >>> >>> http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/alternative_ >>> window_system/index.html >>> >>> I thought I'd say a few words informally as my proposal is not yet ready >>> for upload, and it would be good to get some feedback in the remaining days >>> before the deadline. >>> >>> I have experience with C and Linux, but plan9port is the extent of my >>> first-hand experience with Plan 9. I've read some of the papers and other >>> resources and I am intrigued by the ideas behind Plan 9 and the clean >>> implementation of those ideas. I intend to start using Plan 9 natively or >>> in a VM soon, and I am confident I could get comfortable with the >>> environment before the start of the summer. >>> >>> For my project, I would build a tiling window manager similar to dwm >>> (what I use on Linux). I think a dwm-style interface that could be >>> controlled from the keyboard would provide a nice contrast to what we >>> already have with rio, and as we see from dwm the implementation of such an >>> interface needn't be complex. Development would involve modifying the rio >>> source code to implement the basic functions of a >>> tiling/keyboard-controlled window manager one by one. >>> >>> Let me know if this sounds like a good summer-sized project for someone >>> who is not yet well acquainted with Plan 9. >>> >>> Regards, >>> Caleb Malchik >>> >>> >> >