I also like very much the Acme's replacement of hard-coded menus by customizable taglines with support of guide files, among others. With a support of interactive graphics, we could have , e.g., an image editor within Acme. Just a dream... ++pac On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Devon H. O'Dell wrote: > 2013/4/26 Peter A. Cejchan : > >> Also, keep in mind that there is already a well known and popular tiling > >> environment in Plan 9. If you are able to make a window manager with an > acme > >> feeling I'm sure many users would be interested. The challenge here is > to > >> have the good taste > required to come up with the right design, and > that's > >> quite a challenge. > > > > Adding graphics capabilities to Acme would be nice. Just IMHO. > > I agree. I think fgb did this (or at least part of it?) at some point > in the past (for abaco maybe?), but I'm not sure what happened. Maybe > it's just sitting in his contrib. Haven't looked yet. > > If it's not complete, I think that'd be pretty great. > > --dho > > > ++pac > > > > > > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM, yy wrote: > >> > >> On 24 April 2013 07:55, David Hoskin wrote: > >>> > >>> Hello 9fans, > >>> > >>> I am interested in working on either of the graphics-related projects > >>> suggested on the GSOC wiki page. > >>> > >> > >> Nice. > >> > >>> > >>> For the window system enhancements, my immediate idea would be to > >>> implement title bars and dwm-style keyboard commands and tiling, but I > >>> fear that this would not be a large enough project for the whole > >>> summer. > >>> > >> > >> Just porting dwm or some of its features to rio would probably be not > >> enough for a gsoc project. However, you have lots of interesting > options to > >> expand on that. > >> > >> First, whatever you do must have, at some point, the form of a file > >> server, and you will have to play with the design until you find the > right > >> one. It's easy to think in wmii-like file servers where you copy a > window to > >> a tag with cp (or bind) and remove it with rm. Maybe even some > interesting > >> new feature comes up naturally (the rio design makes natural running rio > >> inside rio, maybe whatever you do makes natural to have tags inside > tags or > >> whatever). You also have to keep in mind that most of the Plan 9 > programs > >> were intended to be used with a mouse, so although key bindings may be > >> implemented it should be comfortable for mouse users too (you also have > >> interesting options here, just now I'm using a mouse-controlled dwm > version > >> and works quite well). > >> > >> Also, keep in mind that there is already a well known and popular tiling > >> environment in Plan 9. If you are able to make a window manager with an > acme > >> feeling I'm sure many users would be interested. The challenge here is > to > >> have the good taste required to come up with the right design, and > that's > >> quite a challenge. > >> > >>> > >>> I have the opposite concern about the Web /dev/draw; would it be > >>> acceptable to move some of the logic to the Go client rather than use > >>> it as a dumb proxy? I am not sure what division of labour I would > >>> settle on here. > >>> > >> > >> I don't think nobody is sure about anything. Certainly, there is a way > to > >> have a "drawterm in the browser", but it is not clear how to do it. I > guess > >> figuring this out may be the first task. You will need some way to draw > to > >> the screen and read input events, and you will need to provide a 9P > servers > >> for applications to use. Drawing to the screen will probably involve the > >> HTML5 canvas and some dynamic language. The 9P server could be > implemented > >> at different levels. There are many 9P libraries for different > languages and > >> platforms which may be used, or you could use a custom protocol like > p9p's > >> devdraw and then implement the 9P server in Inferno, Plan9 or some > program > >> in the local host. And then, you need to glue both parts together. > >> > >> There are many options here, I think many of us have our own opinion on > >> the best way to achieve this. You will have to discuss the details with > your > >> mentor. In any case, I think if you are confident to implement the "web > >> part" of the project, serving 9P is not going to be a significant > problem, > >> and you could easily get some help for that. > >> > >> I think it is feasible to finish this project in a summer, but it won't > be > >> easy. > >> > >> > >>> Thanks, > >> > >> > >> Good luck! > >> > >> > >> -- > >> - yiyus || JGL . > > > > > >