* [9fans] 3D graphics as a filesystem
@ 2016-10-12 23:03 Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2016-10-12 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello All,

I am looking at the specs for a GPU and was thinking about something analogous to /dev/draw, but for 3D graphics. Kind of like OpenGL except exposed as a filesystem so that it is network mountable and programmed in any language (even rc).

Does anyone know if this kind of thing has been done before for plan 9? Any relevant papers or documents out there?

My first thought involves representing elements in the graphics pipeline as files where you can write shader language code. Also a vertex file to write or read floating point vertex data. Maybe something more abstract would be better with scene graph and camera controls would be better match for a filesystem implementation.

Thanks,
Chris

* Re: [9fans] 3D graphics as a filesystem
@ 2016-10-12 23:12 ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-10-12 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I wonder if the Inferno guys did anything like that.

There was a youtube video from John Floren talking about his work replacing
Java w/ Inferno on an Android phone and I think he mentioned some ideas he
had consider w/re to driving graphics using a 9p interface.

@ 2016-10-12 23:17 ` Jules Merit
From: Jules Merit @ 2016-10-12 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yeah I prototyped draw3d with 9vx driver to host GPU on Linux system.
MesajGL if 9p file exists it supports mode of that name to transfer to gpu.
It helps if you have DooM handy to try writing it in rc.

@ 2016-10-12 23:21   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2016-10-12 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

"James A. Robinson" <jimr@highwire.org> wrote:

>I wonder if the Inferno guys did anything like that.
>
>There was a youtube video from John Floren talking about his work
>replacing
>Java w/ Inferno on an Android phone and I think he mentioned some ideas
>he
>had consider w/re to driving graphics using a 9p interface.

You might also check out the work on Harvey.

sl

* Re: [9fans] 3D graphics as a filesystem
@ 2016-10-12 23:47   ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2016-10-12 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Cool. Do you have any code that you can share for that? What does the file protocol look like?

@ 2016-10-13  5:38     ` Andrew Nazarov
From: Andrew Nazarov @ 2016-10-13  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs