From: fig <type9freak@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] building a grid at university
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 14:57:35 -0700	[thread overview]

> Think about what you want to do with those files on your server.
i'm not going to needlessly elaborate, but i'll say that before this, i was
already using my ebooks, audiobooks, text files and music with the tools
from plan9port.

> I recommend starting with a few servers (auth, fs, cpu, maybe even all in
one machine) in the cloud, plus one local cpu server with a cache
filesystem (cfs) for better latency.
> Have your servers in the cloud. You're not a data center. VPS can be
actually quite cheap, I pay 2.42 euro per month per machine.
i think i have to, yeah. is there anything important to consider when
choosing a VPS provider for plan 9 servers? or do they all play well?
any recommendations are welcome.

> on 9p.zone there's an extra service with a public auth service everybody
can use for free. You could hook up your own fileserver to use this auth
and control who has access to it. For shared projects on a shared system
you can use the existing eu grid at 9p.zone (eu.9p.zone).
this is a good resource to keep in mind. i was not aware of 9p.zone.

another possibility: i could put plan 9 servers on a couple thinkpads
and/or raspberry pis at my parents' house (not far from school) and have
them connect to the 9p.zone auth server or a VPS of mine. the reason i did
not initially list this as an option is because internet at home is pretty
slow, and also i did not want to do any port forwarding at home. but this
arrangement would not require any port forwarding, if i'm not mistaken.

thanks for your reply. much appreciated.