* [9fans] x86 alternative to rPi
@ 2016-09-28  9:05 arnold
From: arnold @ 2016-09-28  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

FYI folks.

http://betanews.com/2016/09/22/solidrun-x86-braswell-microsom-linux-windows-10-raspberry-pi/

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] x86 alternative to rPi
@ 2016-09-28  9:31 ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2016-09-28  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

+1.

Its not exactly RPi form factor, meaning I can't stuff a whole heap of the
boards in something like this:

http://my.bitscope.com/store/?p=view&i=item+6

But I'm sure it'd be bloody brilliant as a supervisory computer on a rover
robot or something similar, likely low powered enough to not smash a lipo
secondary pack thrown together from laptop cells I recover from condemned
laptops at work, those USB3.0 ports mean I could cobble on some SDRs in
Linux, Plan 9 is a different story, but the CPU power would be a solid
punch compared to the low RAM spec RPi ARM64 gear. I think the Orange Pi is
2GB RAM, but Plan 9/ Inferno doesn't run on it, the OPi barely runs Linux,
most normal stuff, like common USB->serial interfaces simply don't work.
And the kernel mod instructions make no sense on the wiki. Good luck
getting Plan 9 running on it!

No issue, I was going to use a four place Bitscope Blade with two OPi's
running Linux, an RPi2 running Plan 9 CPU, and an RPi2 running Inferno for
my starter core cluster, prep to move the whole lot off grid in the coming
years:

http://my.bitscope.com/store/?p=view&i=item+3

As for *way later on*, something like this is quite interesting:

http://www.parallac.org/

144 CPU cores, spread over a count of 128 grid cores, 16 ARM32 cores with
FPGAs, and 4 x64 cores, weighing in at 200W max. Add one of these puppies
to the mix for the GigE backplane:

http://routerboard.com/CCR1009-8G-1S-PC

The 9 core Tilera CPU has a grid alike architecture as well, and a GNU C/
C++ toolchain. Wonder if I could ever afford to employ you on porting work
Mr Stallion? =) Its ok, you asked me to name an idea of my price, I'm not
upset. Soon learned what the work consists of, didn't I?

If this off grid supercomputer cluster ever happens before Adepteva release
the 64 core Epiphany-IV grid co-processor, I'll be well ripped off,
although development on the 64 core chip stalled when they didn't reach
their initial crowdfunding stretch goal. I'm not sure about their timeline,
but I'll be far more grey by the release, and probably far more grumpy
too...!

In any case Arnold, cheers for the heads up. Now to see if the supply chain
supplies to the Antipodes, and for a reasonable price, not the usual "We'll
sell it to you completely gold plated in 24k pure gold, but the gold plate
gets removed before it leaves the contiguous US by those thieving
so-and-so's in US Customs and the USPS" crap that usually happens with this
more niche gear. Gotta get a remailer box, I want a bunch of WD PiDrives
too, those guys don't even know Australia is a major First World nation,
let alone we actually exist on the other side of the planet...

Remember guys, theres no taxes on dreams... yet... ^.^