* [9fans] ODROID-W Update
@ 2014-08-30 10:39 Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-08-30 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello 9fans,

After getting myself an ODROID-W as part of my contract for a deeply
embedded Linux appliance yesterday, I read this on the Hardkernel website
this evening:

*Not recommended for new designs. Broadcom will not supply the SoC to
Hardkernel.When the first trial batch is sold out, you can’t buy the
ODROID-W anymore. Sorry for the inconvenience.*

Now, if you'd like to know my personal thoughts on this, you're more than
welcome to email me privately, but my wish to make a Inferno powered tablet
from the ODROID-W has now been deep-sixed, as the additional ODROID I
picked up from the contract has already been soldered up in a "minimal"
configuration suitable for placing on a UAV, and thats exactly what it'll
be doing, now that its become one of the rarest (and smallest, for the
size/ performance ratio) motherboards on the face of the planet. I was
hoping however, under sustained production of the boards, to produce the
Inferno tablet, and announce it to the community.

Oh well. Pride goeth, and all that...

* Re: [9fans] ODROID-W Update
@ 2014-08-30 11:13 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2014-08-30 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> but my wish to make a Inferno powered tablet
> from the ODROID-W has now been deep-sixed,

The dust has not settled yet.  Personally, I think that the Chinese
are poised ready to catch just this type of mistake and make more of
it than those who erred could ever have conceived.

Might not cover your situation, but there will be other doors opening.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] ODROID-W Update
@ 2014-08-30 11:42   ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-08-30 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)