So, in effect, a 1PPS signal would be sufficient to clock second to second? I suppose it could be, there would be little drift in the oscillator per the second. As for NTP, this has been suggested to me, and I acknowledge its place, certainly. However, I do not wish to tie up network resources in terms of clocking, and GPS provides me with an independent reference - Navsync CW12-TIMs can be had for $89, and do not tie up network resources. You could then say "Ah, but you said a 1PPS is fine... now you're saying 1PPS via the network isn't?" That is due to a mesh topology being used in the eventual network, and the bandwidth, latency and propagation issues inherent in such a network. I wish to dedicate the network wholly and solely to requisite control data traffic, not superfluous traffic like clocking, which may not get there in time. Certainly, mine is a complex undertaking, but one I think can work. On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 9:03 AM, erik quanstrom wrote: > > Of things interrelated, I wish to sample a 10kHz square wave into a GPIO, > > which I am certain the RPi will do, see my earlier post with link to RPi > > forums. This will be a constant signal (an output of a GPSDO, with > > potentially a rubidium oscillator backup). So while the 10kHz is > constant, > > the users input is not, and I wish to correlate in time the users input > to > > the rising edge of the 10kHz signal, as it is then to be sent over a > > network with the time data of the event. > [...] > > > > I could be wildly off here Erik in my way of thinking, but my motivation > is > > to extend the syncfs module to correlate precisely in time. The example > > system used by the Indiana University had no synchronisation across the > > network - presumably the only synchronised filesystem was the local > > filesystem on the cart robot? I will also be writing some kind of memory > > bounding for the ramfs. So, the events themselves are asynchronous and > > non-deterministic, however the clock source against which the events are > > placed in time is deterministic, and allows for easy reference and > auditing. > > > > Perhaps there is a better way of doing this, I am not sure. Remember, I > am > > an outsider to Plan 9 ways of thinking, although I am mostly unspoiled by > > Linux ways of thinking. To be precise, my ways of thinking are MSDOS, if > > that is at all possible in this day and age. I accept any and all better > > suggestions. > > it seems that the system timer is already 1mhz. but i suppose the issue is > that there is no external reference. do you think you could get .1 ppm > time resolution with ntp between raspberry pis? if not, i don't think i > know > enough about your setup to say much of use other than to note frequency > is not directly related to precision. if local timing can is stable to > .1ppm for > a longish period of time, then a low-frequency strobe of high precision and > known timing could be enough. the bbc does this with the tone at the top > of the hr. > > - erik > >