From: Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: [9fans] Any ANTS Users?
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:50:13 +1000	[thread overview]

Hello 9fans,

I am using the version of the Advanced Namespace ToolS available from the
website, and of course gawking at it going "Well, how in the Hell do I...?"
Todays revelation involved using "addsources" to populate my /bin
directory, and of course, when I run "faces" I am told that /bin/faces
doesn't exist.

First up, where is my Plan 9 VM getting these files in the /bin directory?
After the "addsources" command is executed, I wait for a couple of minutes,
and then the /bin directory is populated. Can I hazard that they're being
downloaded, or perhaps even namespaced in? If so, where are they coming
from? The 9gridchan venti? If this sounds like a load of BS, correct me,
I'm just very curious to understand what is happening.

So addsources executes, lo and behold, I have my programs. I am able to "ls
-l" - yup, they're there, execute the program in question, and the file
doesn't exist. So whats causing this? Again, I'm just curious, eager to
understand the inner workings of this thing I only barely know the outline
of.

Now, I know the best person to ask would be mycroftiv, but he seems to be
unavailable at the moment, which is fair enough. Does anyone else use ANTS,
can they answer my questions, and can they please lend a hand?

Many thanks all!

Shane.