Because this way there is one default dump file. Maybe it should be $home/lib/acme.dump But when i turn on my terminal it runs acme -l $home/acme.dump automatically. And before i turn it off i just press dump. If I need to preserve a state for longer i can do Dump otherfile. For me this seems the saner behaviour. tl;dr I'm against your patch, sorry 2014/1/13 Paul Lalonde > That seems even more magical, I think. > > I've been running with Dump's $HOME lookup changed to $PWD for a few days > now with nary a glitch. > Unless someone tells me otherwise I'll start pushing for a patch :-) > > Paul > > > On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Charles Forsyth < > charles.forsyth@gmail.com> wrote: > >> >> On 13 January 2014 16:42, Paul Lalonde wrote: >> >>> Can anyone explain to me the rationale of Dump dropping acme.dump in >>> $HOME instead of $PWD? >> >> >> alternatively, if started with acme -l dumpfile, why not write it back to >> the same file? >> > >