* [9fans] Plan 9 ARM questions
@ 2013-03-08 10:20 Paolo P. Martino
From: Paolo P. Martino @ 2013-03-08 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello all,

I am studying for a MSc in High Performance Computing at the Edinburgh University, UK.
As part of my dissertation project, I was thinking to use Plan 9 as compute node for ARM-based clusters.
My idea is to "port" the ideas of Plan 9 on Bluegene to ARM.
I have a couple of questions:
1) How is the status of linuxemu? Does it work only on x86 or is it portable? This because of MPI/OpenMP/FORTRAN widely used in High Performance Computing.
2) Is someone already working to port Plan 9 on Exynos5/Cortex A15 processors?

I'm still checking with my university if I can use this project also for the GSoC 2013.

Thank you for your time,
Paolo P. Martino

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 ARM questions
@ 2013-03-08 11:07 ` Bence Fábián
From: Bence Fábián @ 2013-03-08 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

maybe it would be worthwhile to look into XCPU:

http://xcpu.sourceforge.net/

@ 2013-03-08 11:39 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2013-03-08 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I did some work on linuxemu last year, trying to extend it to work with the current
linux kernel API. I am happy to share this if you want it. I have diverged from cinap's
origional a little but for what are (I feel) good reasons.

As far as I know it emulates only X86 32bit linux on exactly that platform, I suspose
it might work on a 64bit plan9 platform with some work, but I am unsure - cinap will know more.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 ARM questions
@ 2013-03-08 16:33   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2013-03-08 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

xcpu is cool, but it doesn't really have anything to do with either of
his questions besides being generally related to HPC.

I don't see why you couldn't make linuxemu portable, Ron did something
similar to run CNK binaries on Bluegene.

john