* [9fans] Tassilo Philip, you asked the perfect question
@ 2013-03-18  1:41 mycroftiv
From: mycroftiv @ 2013-03-18  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Tassilo Philipp wrote:
> if you want to make the world a better place, do exactly what you did.
> Release free and open software, discuss ideas, get feedback, etc..

Thank you for this response.  This allows me to clarify the issues.

I wrote and released free and open source software, and I made a big
attempt to discuss the ideas and get feedback.

No one is willing to use the software, discuss the ideas, and give
feedback.

I wondered why this was, and I tried searching for info about someone
who I knew WOULD have ideas and feedback - EricVH.  I wanted to write
to him and see if he at least understood what I was up to.  I found
the Multi-pipe patent.

I think I CANNOT GET FEEDBACK because all the people who would/could
give me feedback won't do it because they would rather put the ideas
in ANTS into patentable form, so they won't talk about it here.

That is why I'm so angry.

Ben Kidwell
"mycroftiv"

* Re: [9fans] Tassilo Philip, you asked the perfect question
@ 2013-03-18  2:37 ` Tassilo Philipp
From: Tassilo Philipp @ 2013-03-18  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: mycroftiv

> Thank you for this response.  This allows me to clarify the issues.
>
> I wrote and released free and open source software, and I made a big
> attempt to discuss the ideas and get feedback.
>
> No one is willing to use the software, discuss the ideas, and give
> feedback.

"Dude", give it some time... You are writing to a mailing list of a rather small, but _dedicated_ community, that is absolutely open to good ideas and design. However, I'd bet that a lot of us have a lot of things to do, every day - things that have nothing to do with Plan9.

I, for example, I work in games. PC games to be precise, a Windows-dominated world. I learned a lot through this list, and surely miss many of the Plan9 ideas in other operating systems. I would love to spend 100% of my time to port software to Plan9 (which it is lacking, for sure), but simply can't. Work, family, personal projects, 50+ emails a day to work through, etc.. You know, I see so many interesting ideas from all kinds of people every week, and I usually leave my browser-tabs open, to look at them in detail, later. And guess what: often, I never get around it.

Looking at ANTS, I like what I see, but quite honestly, to really 'grok' it, I need to use it. This doesn't just happen in a few hours after reading your post.

If you are looking for _instant_ feedback from people, you would be much better off coming up with some fancy CSS-styling effect and posting it on slashdot. Even cooler if it works in IE. Or yet another web framework. Yes, there is some sarcasm in that sentence.

Do I like what the computing world developed into? Not really, as many things that we use every day could be so much better - but I have to deal with it, learn from it, and be happy with what I can accomplish.

* Re: [9fans] Tassilo Philip, you asked the perfect question
@ 2013-03-18  9:05   ` Bence Fábián
From: Bence Fábián @ 2013-03-18  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs