From: Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] how to burn iso
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:41:20 +0200	[thread overview]

On 24 October 2011 14:15, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Mon Oct 24 04:05:31 EDT 2011, tyapca7@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> #!/bin/rc
>> # burn a CD from ISO-9660 image on $home/cd.iso
>> # version 0.03
>> # Thu Jul  3 06:35:32 EDT 2003 <cej@gli.cas.cz>
>>
>> rfork e
>> t1 =`{date}
>> kill cdfs | rc
>> kill 9660srv | rc
>> cdfs -d /dev/sdD0
>> cp $home/cd.iso  /mnt/cd/wd || echo CD BURNING ERROR
>> t2 =`{date}
>> echo begin: $t1
>> echo end: $t2
>> # -eof-
>
> the key bit to understand is that cdfs is the only part of the system
> that knows how to send special scsi commands for talking to dvd+/+/i
> or blu-ray-* or cd-* devices.  it uses the raw interface to inject the
> commands directly.  neither the disk drivers nor the sd system
> know anything about cdroms, except that they are removable.
>
> - erik

I am still lost.
My current understanding is that I need as if 3 different views on a CD:
-- if audio CD is to be written, I need to follow some structure in
which audio tracks should be written, so that other audio readers
understand it,
-- if data files are to be written, I first need some filesystem
(iso9660) on the CD and then write the data files into this
filesystem,
-- if I have an ISO image, I'd expect that this is, without any
translation, just somehow raw-copied to the CD (similarly to a way a
dd command works).

While writing to cd/wa may solve the audio case, I don't understand
how the data file vs ISO is coped with, as the example just writes an
ISO to cd/wd...

Thanks for explanation!

Ruda

PS.: also, the example doesn't fixate the disk. Should it? Shouldn't
it? (Why is this (un)needed?)