* [9fans] using acid
@ 2013-01-18 14:59 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2013-01-18 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

is there any document, besides the two papers by P. Winterbottom
(Acid Manual, Acid: A Debugger Built From a Language)
showing a practical use of acid?

I wonder if I could use it for watching acme during its running.

[I wanted to change acme so that it could understand environment
variables --- such as $home --- when doing completion after pressing
ctrl-f or ins. However, when I tried to read the source, I found structures
with elements whose meaning is not documented.
Thus I'd like to run acme and watch and guess what they are for.
But to this end I'd like to see some examples of how to use acid.
I have never done anything like this before; I even don't know if it's viable.]

Thanks for any comments.
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] using acid
@ 2013-01-18 17:09 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-01-18 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Jan 18 10:01:07 EST 2013, rudolf.sykora@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there any document, besides the two papers by P. Winterbottom
> (Acid Manual, Acid: A Debugger Built From a Language)
> showing a practical use of acid?

http://swtch.com/~rsc/talks/acid07/

- erik

* Re: [9fans] using acid
@ 2013-01-18 17:20 ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2013-01-18 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Someone made a recording of Russ' talk about acid at the 2nd IWP9, see
http://mirror.cat-v.org/iwp9/2007/videos/  Acid-Trips.mov.  It unfortunately
cuts out before the end.  You can follow along http://swtch.com/~rsc/talks/acid07/

That might not help answer your question, but it may give some additional
insights and techniques to get to what you're wanting.

-jas