* [9fans] acme/Mail sorted by replies(threaded)
@ 2014-02-10 20:33 Uvelichitel
From: Uvelichitel @ 2014-02-10 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Hi. I know at least one implementation exist before
https://bitbucket.org/mpl/acmemail-with-sort-by-thread. It based on
Subject header comparison. So I write another one based on MessageID
and Inreplayto headers.
	https://bitbucket.org/uvelichitel/mail
You can mk install. Flag -t added for threading. Tested on p9p.
Fill free to try. Feedback appreciated.
	Best regards.

* Re: [9fans] acme/Mail sorted by replies(threaded)
@ 2014-02-11  8:34 ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2014-02-11  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

I just want to say it makes me feel better to see someone is trying
to improve Mail. I've been using Mail for some time in parallel with
the gmail web interface. (Basically, I prefer to write an email within
acme [full text editor with undo etc.], but searching for a conversation
is just simpler in the web interface. Also, it happens to me from time
to time, that email is not actually sent from within acme (due to some
lost connection, stunnel, ...), so I nearly always check the situation
with the web interface).

I hope I will try your work at some point.
Note also there was a message about 'amail' quite recently.
Finally, as far as I can tell, writing a threaded view can be be tricky:

http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html

Thanks
Ruda

@ 2014-02-11  9:43   ` uvelichitel
From: uvelichitel @ 2014-02-11  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rudolf.sykora, 9fans

	Hi,	I just now write that in acme [full text editor with undo etc.]. I setup stunnel using your recipe, thanks for publishing it. Maybe you also know where to point acme/Mail or upas/smtp to insert in 'From:' header funny 'nice uvel'<me@some.com> instead of $user@domain.dom? In which rc files it can be done or it need be hardcoded? As for threading, I localize my changes to acme/Mail in only two functions and try do things in the way natural for original code, so you can easy mk install and try to see how it looks, don't forget -t flag for threading.
	Best regards.

@ 2014-02-11 10:03     ` Alexander Sychev
From: Alexander Sychev @ 2014-02-11 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Try to set an environment variable "upasname" before upas/smtp executing (I
set it before acme), but it should be "me@some.com", not " 'alias' <
me@some.com>".
upas/marshal takes a user from "upasname" too.

--
Best regards,
  santucco

* Re: [9fans] acme/Mail sorted by replies(threaded)
@ 2014-02-11 13:08       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-11 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Try to set an environment variable "upasname" before upas/smtp executing (I
> set it before acme), but it should be "me@some.com", not " 'alias' <
> me@some.com>".
> upas/marshal takes a user from "upasname" too.

i'm not sure how this works in p9p, but in plan 9,
/mail/box/$user/headers is prepended to the headers.
you can set From: or any other header field here.
special processing in marshal will weed out redundant
headers, favoring the pre-set ones.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] acme/Mail sorted by replies(threaded)
@ 2014-02-11 13:13   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-11 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I just want to say it makes me feel better to see someone is trying
> to improve Mail. I've been using Mail for some time in parallel with
> the gmail web interface. (Basically, I prefer to write an email within
> acme [full text editor with undo etc.], but searching for a conversation
> is just simpler in the web interface. Also, it happens to me from time
> to time, that email is not actually sent from within acme (due to some
> lost connection, stunnel, ...), so I nearly always check the situation
> with the web interface).

not sure if this applies to p9p, but ned (mail with no arguments on plan 9)
is really good for finding stuff.
	g/sender/h
is typically enough to find mail from a particular person.
and there are other options that search particular header fields, or the body.
i prefer the unix-style interface to search boxes.

unfortunately the results of a search are not themselves a mailbox.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] acme/Mail sorted by replies(threaded)
@ 2014-02-11 13:23     ` uvelichitel
From: uvelichitel @ 2014-02-11 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: quanstro, 9fans

>> I just want to say it makes me feel better to see someone is trying
>> to improve Mail. I've been using Mail for some time in parallel with
>> the gmail web interface. (Basically, I prefer to write an email within
>> acme [full text editor with undo etc.], but searching for a conversation
>> is just simpler in the web interface. Also, it happens to me from time
>> to time, that email is not actually sent from within acme (due to some
>> lost connection, stunnel, ...), so I nearly always check the situation
>> with the web interface).
>
> not sure if this applies to p9p, but ned (mail with no arguments on plan 9)
> is really good for finding stuff.
> 	g/sender/h
> is typically enough to find mail from a particular person.
> and there are other options that search particular header fields, or the body.
> i prefer the unix-style interface to search boxes.
>
> unfortunately the results of a search are not themselves a mailbox.
>
> - erik

ned compiles on p9p, also p9p acme/Mail this days get Search command based on imap service and producing mbox.

- uvelichitel

* Re: [9fans] acme/Mail sorted by replies(threaded)
@ 2014-02-11 18:19       ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2014-02-11 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs