5 cents from me, as I'm fan of Nemo's writings (and code also) link to his papers https://lsub.org/who/nemo/papers.html 2016-09-09 18:54 GMT+03:00 Brantley Coile : > I’ve been reading Nemo’s “Notes on the Plan 9 3rd edition Kernel Source” > after a number of years. Three things struck me on this reading of what is > a great and much appreciated work. First, is what a good job Francisco did > with this work. Even though he never finished it, having been overtaking, I > think, by the 4th edition, it is a very good introduction to an operating > system suitable for instruction in a undergraduate or graduate class in > operating systems. I, fortunately, don’t have to teach, but if I did, I > would certainly use the work. > > Second, I’m struck by how much larger the system had grown by the time > Nemo wrote the commentary. I had the good fortune to read John Lion’s > commentary on Plan 9 during my brief tenure at Bell Labs in 1990. If I > remember right, the kernel I was using was bout 25,000 lines. The first > version I used outside the Labs was the 2nd edition it weighs in at a hefty > 39,000 lines. The current system I’m running, the 32 bit one, not the 64 > bit one, is 140,000 lines. I’m not sure the size of the 3rd edition, but > the growth is interesting. > > The third thing that struct me is the changes in the Intel architecture > since the original PC based port. The first Plan 9 for PC ran on AT&T 386 > machines in the 1990’s, if I remember right. Those were the days of ISA and > EISA and before PCI made it’s plug-and-play appearance on the scene. It > seems that while the PC stuff has kept up with most of the many changes in > the Intel hardware platform over the years, there is still some cruft from > the old days. > > All very interesting to think about. I highly recommend Nemo’s book. > Here’s a link to it. > > http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1. > 75.5409&rep=rep1&type=pdf > > Brantley Coile > bwc@coraid.com > http://coraid.com > > > -- С наилучшими пожеланиями Жилкин Сергей With best regards Zhilkin Sergey