Congrats ! пн, 11 мар. 2019 г. в 21:48, : > Tanna: For six years, our ANTS have been upon the Earth, what is their > status? > Eros: Our Plan 9 plan is succeeding at last. Numerous Earth > people have accepted our namespace technologies. > Tanna: Let our efforts be propagated across global grid networks! > Eros: It is already done. Few may be aware, but our ANTS colony > spawns have encircled the planet. > > Hey 9fans. As Jim Anchower used to say - been a long time since I > rapped at ya. Most of the people who are potentially interested in my > Plan 9 software and projects probably already know about them, since I > am active in several other communication channels, but I figured I > should drop a post here, just for the record. > > ANTS development has continued for the past six years. It > transitioned to being primarily 9front based in 2015, and support for > Bell Labs 9 was relegated to a historical-preservation repo at the end > of 2017. The people with a strong traditionalist bent didn't seem to > be interested anyway. There has been a live/install iso image for the > past year or so, which brought a lot more users. I'll be releasing a > new iso image sometime during the next week or so, I think. > > In addition to ANTS software, the long dormant public grid project was > resurrected in early 2018 and has been far more successful than the > early attempts in the 2008-10 era. It has a small but active user > community and has been a nice place for collaborative software > development and testing. The technical foundations are a bit rickety > and insecure, but we haven't had many issues so far. > > The most significant project is the Spawngrid, which came online in > late 2018. It is a rather ambitious attempt to use ANTS as a platform > for a "competitor" to service platforms like AWS/azure/GCE. It has a > global network of venti servers which replicate data to each other and > allow multiple independent user environments to be spawned on the > attached cpu servers. It has also worked surprisingly well, although > it has only a small number of regular users. > > Most recently, I have been pursing historical investigation and > recreation of systems based on the hypercubic computers which rose to > prominence in the late 1980s. Most interesting (to me) are the > systems from nCUBE, which transitioned during the 1990s to a Plan 9 > based (!) operating system called Transit which was used for streaming > video appliance servers such as the Mediacube 4. I am very very > interested in the Transit OS and this history, and I can find almost > no substantive information about the Transit variant of Plan 9, > although information on the earlier generation of nCUBE systems is > fairly plentiful. > > Information and links and blog posts and downloads about all this > stuff is spread across the 9gridchan.org ANTS-empire. > > Peace and Love to all, > Mycroftiv > > -- С наилучшими пожеланиями Жилкин Сергей With best regards Zhilkin Sergey