* [9fans] Six year ANTS-iversary
@ 2019-03-11 18:49 mycroftiv
From: mycroftiv @ 2019-03-11 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Tanna: For six years, our ANTS have been upon the Earth, what is their
	status?
Eros: Our Plan 9 plan is succeeding at last.  Numerous Earth
	people have accepted our namespace technologies.
Tanna: Let our efforts be propagated across global grid networks!
Eros: It is already done.  Few may be aware, but our ANTS colony
	spawns have encircled the planet.

Hey 9fans.  As Jim Anchower used to say - been a long time since I
rapped at ya.  Most of the people who are potentially interested in my
Plan 9 software and projects probably already know about them, since I
am active in several other communication channels, but I figured I
should drop a post here, just for the record.

ANTS development has continued for the past six years.  It
transitioned to being primarily 9front based in 2015, and support for
Bell Labs 9 was relegated to a historical-preservation repo at the end
of 2017.  The people with a strong traditionalist bent didn't seem to
be interested anyway.  There has been a live/install iso image for the
past year or so, which brought a lot more users.  I'll be releasing a
new iso image sometime during the next week or so, I think.

In addition to ANTS software, the long dormant public grid project was
resurrected in early 2018 and has been far more successful than the
early attempts in the 2008-10 era.  It has a small but active user
community and has been a nice place for collaborative software
development and testing.  The technical foundations are a bit rickety
and insecure, but we haven't had many issues so far.

The most significant project is the Spawngrid, which came online in
late 2018.  It is a rather ambitious attempt to use ANTS as a platform
for a "competitor" to service platforms like AWS/azure/GCE.  It has a
global network of venti servers which replicate data to each other and
allow multiple independent user environments to be spawned on the
attached cpu servers.  It has also worked surprisingly well, although
it has only a small number of regular users.

Most recently, I have been pursing historical investigation and
recreation of systems based on the hypercubic computers which rose to
prominence in the late 1980s.  Most interesting (to me) are the
systems from nCUBE, which transitioned during the 1990s to a Plan 9
based (!) operating system called Transit which was used for streaming
video appliance servers such as the Mediacube 4.  I am very very
interested in the Transit OS and this history, and I can find almost
no substantive information about the Transit variant of Plan 9,
although information on the earlier generation of nCUBE systems is
fairly plentiful.

Information and links and blog posts and downloads about all this
stuff is spread across the 9gridchan.org ANTS-empire.

Peace and Love to all,
Mycroftiv

* Re: [9fans] Six year ANTS-iversary
@ 2019-03-14 10:50 ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2019-03-14 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Congrats !

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] Six year ANTS-iversary
@ 2019-03-14 14:32   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-03-14 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i really like the novel usage of venti for distributed file system
clusters. spawngrid is awesome.
the "hubchat" is very entertaining, too.

* [9fans] nCUBE, Transit, and Plan 9
@ 2019-03-14 18:09 ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2019-03-14 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs
  Cc: Stephen Hemminger, Vadim Antonov, Alberto Nava

mycroftiv@sphericalharmony.com once said:
> Most recently, I have been pursing historical investigation and
> recreation of systems based on the hypercubic computers which rose to
> prominence in the late 1980s.  Most interesting (to me) are the
> systems from nCUBE, which transitioned during the 1990s to a Plan 9
> based (!) operating system called Transit which was used for streaming
> video appliance servers such as the Mediacube 4.  I am very very
> interested in the Transit OS and this history, and I can find almost
> no substantive information about the Transit variant of Plan 9,
> although information on the earlier generation of nCUBE systems is
> fairly plentiful.

I'm also interested in this. I tracked down some current email addresses
for some of the nCUBE people who posted to 9fans in the '90s.

Greetings to Stephen, Vadim, and Alberto.

Would you be willing to indulge us with some historical information on
how Plan 9 was used and modified by nCUBE and what became of the Transit
operating system?

Thanks,
  Anthony