I was thinking that another way to get access to GPU across other OSes, chipsets, etc. might be WebGL. I was going to try with one of the web frontend drawterms out there (maybe aiju's) would be a reasonable starting point to expose a gpufs and model how it would work such that someday it could be implemented directly with Plan 9 drivers in the Plan 9 way. On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 7:50 AM sirjofri wrote: > I should mention I thought about the layout of a GPUfs some time ago. I > just lack lots of knowledge about this, the gist was to write shader > (code or compiled?) into some files, also write image data and mesh data > to other files, abd reading results from other files. But as I said, I > lack lots of knowledge about how GPUs work and never wrote any OpenGL > code myself, only shader code. It always seemed like it's hundreds of > hundreds of lines of code to draw a triangle (which is the basic hello > world program). > > sirjofri > > 22.08.2021 12:04:41 Frank D. Engel, Jr. : > > > While not necessarily unwelcome as a possibility, I don't think > > GPU-based drawing/gaming is as relevant to this discussion (or as > > important of a goal for Plan 9 / 9front) as is GPU compute (GPGPU). > > > > The ability to leverage GPU resources across CPU servers for > > computation purposes would be of great benefit to the platform, and > > working out a driver interface by starting the process remotely via > > drawterm seems like a sensible step in that direction. > > > > On 8/22/21 3:07 AM, sirjofri wrote: > >> > >> 22.08.2021 05:16:42 Eli Cohen : > >>> deep learning is another interest of mine too. hardware support is a > >>> big deal for that... some kind of support for GPUs would be nice. > >>> people have discussed that for years... hardware drivers are > >>> difficult > >>> and important to do correctly! > >>> > >>> I always really liked the "XCPU" and drawterm type ideas of using > >>> other OSes for their existing strengths along with Plan 9. maybe > >>> drawterm could have a GPU device driver or something... that being > >>> said I have sometimes found it ends up surprisingly easier doing it > >>> all on Plan 9... > >> That's also something I thought about a few times already: drawterm > >> with GPU support. The only issue I see is, for realtime applications > >> like games the draw times would be network bound and thus pretty slow. > >> It would work for heavy GPU applications where almost no draw calls > >> will exist (no textures, very low poly meshes, ...), but for heavier > >> stuff we'd need to address that. > >> That's the benefit of a native driver: you could calculate the server > >> side (heavy CPU calculations) on a cpu server, the client/frontend > >> side (including draw calls) on a terminal and the pure graphics on the > >> GPU. > >> I'd still give the drawterm GPU a shot. Maybe I can set drawterm up > >> for compilation on my work PC (two GTX 1080Ti) and try figuring out > >> how to do all that stuff. However, I've never done graphics > >> applications on windows or somewhere else that uses OpenGL or DirectX > >> (I'd try OpenGL because portability), only written shaders so far. > >> I'll surely need some time (which is always rare as a game developer). > >> Btw I don't know the exact specifications for GPU usage for neural > >> networks. I assume it's all compute shaders? Maybe it's even a kinda > >> blackbox, put stuff in (draw call), read things out. I assume this can > >> work perfectly fine for draw times, depending on the data. > >> sirjofri ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T65ec64adb5137874-M2811fbdfd8c6710bf58ff059 Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription