On 26 July 2015 at 18:33, erik quanstrom wrote: > if "fast compilation" is a feature over plan 9, I'd like to see some > numbers. That wasn't the point, I think. The mention of speed was rather that on fast enough hardware the speed with gcc isn't that bad, so you can use that. (That misses another point, but that's not relevant here.) The aim in using gcc wasn't the speed, but to produce an environment that was compatible with all the existing software (not POSIX -- although it says that -- being "POSIX" is both too little and too much).