http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.78.5331 Paul Haeberli, ConMan: A Visual Programming Language for Interactive Graphics (1988) I supervised a student who did an implementation for a Blit-like environment on the Sun3 as a project; unfortunately I didn't keep a copy. I remember there were several things left to work out based on the paper. (The Blit-like environment replaced megabytes of Sunview, in case you were wondering, and enabled some serious fun. Sunview enabled some serious head-banging.)