9fans - fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [9fans] how to extract an .iso file using Inferno
@ 2021-03-26  9:56 saif.resun
  2021-03-26 10:09 ` Ethan Gardener
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: saif.resun @ 2021-03-26  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 350 bytes --]

hello there!

I want to extract an .iso file of plan9 operating system in Inferno system. Is there any command to do so?
------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T00cb03faebe93c91-M9138da1be080378379047b2a
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 869 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] how to extract an .iso file using Inferno
  2021-03-26  9:56 [9fans] how to extract an .iso file using Inferno saif.resun
@ 2021-03-26 10:09 ` Ethan Gardener
  2021-03-26 11:48   ` hiro
  2021-03-26 14:55   ` Charles Forsyth
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2021-03-26 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021, at 9:56 AM, saif.resun@outlook.com <mailto:saif.resun%40outlook.com> wrote:
> hello there!
> 
> I want to extract an .iso file of plan9 operating system in Inferno system. Is there any command to do so?
% lookman cd-rom
man 4 dossrv # dossrv(4)

It's not actual extraction, but you can read & copy the files. 

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T00cb03faebe93c91-M5a4a8f7f83047f23872a2b25
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] how to extract an .iso file using Inferno
  2021-03-26 10:09 ` Ethan Gardener
@ 2021-03-26 11:48   ` hiro
  2021-03-27 22:56     ` Ethan Gardener
  2021-03-26 14:55   ` Charles Forsyth
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: hiro @ 2021-03-26 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it *is* extraction, on a per-file basis and on demand :)

On 3/26/21, Ethan Gardener <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021, at 9:56 AM, saif.resun@outlook.com
> <mailto:saif.resun%40outlook.com> wrote:
>> hello there!
>>
>> I want to extract an .iso file of plan9 operating system in Inferno
>> system. Is there any command to do so?
> % lookman cd-rom
> man 4 dossrv # dossrv(4)
> 
> It's not actual extraction, but you can read & copy the files.

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T00cb03faebe93c91-Mfa3eb5521e1614f954d41ed4
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] how to extract an .iso file using Inferno
  2021-03-26 10:09 ` Ethan Gardener
  2021-03-26 11:48   ` hiro
@ 2021-03-26 14:55   ` Charles Forsyth
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2021-03-26 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 737 bytes --]

9660srv is the command you need from the Inferno dossrv(4) page.

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 10:11 AM Ethan Gardener <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021, at 9:56 AM, saif.resun@outlook.com <mailto:
> saif.resun%40outlook.com> wrote:
> > hello there!
> >
> > I want to extract an .iso file of plan9 operating system in Inferno
> system. Is there any command to do so?
> % lookman cd-rom
> man 4 dossrv # dossrv(4)
> 
> It's not actual extraction, but you can read & copy the files.

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T00cb03faebe93c91-M4e40844f92a59c39cdb1d913
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2100 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] how to extract an .iso file using Inferno
  2021-03-26 11:48   ` hiro
@ 2021-03-27 22:56     ` Ethan Gardener
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2021-03-27 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021, at 11:48 AM, hiro wrote:
> it *is* extraction, on a per-file basis and on demand :)

You made me think for a moment. :) ISO-9660 images aren't compressed, so it's not extraction any more than any other disk-backed fileserver of Inferno or Plan 9. The read process is the same: find the region containing the desired data & copy it to the client. Just one of the wonders of Plan 9 & Inferno, or indeed any very clean design.

Of course, from a certain point of view, I'm sure any file read could be considered extraction. ;)

> 
> On 3/26/21, Ethan Gardener <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 26, 2021, at 9:56 AM, saif.resun@outlook.com
> > <mailto:saif.resun%40outlook.com> wrote:
> >> hello there!
> >>
> >> I want to extract an .iso file of plan9 operating system in Inferno
> >> system. Is there any command to do so?
> > % lookman cd-rom
> > man 4 dossrv # dossrv(4)
> > 
> > It's not actual extraction, but you can read & copy the files.

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T00cb03faebe93c91-M4ac42af50946cb8b1c07d477
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-03-27 22:56 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-03-26  9:56 [9fans] how to extract an .iso file using Inferno saif.resun
2021-03-26 10:09 ` Ethan Gardener
2021-03-26 11:48   ` hiro
2021-03-27 22:56     ` Ethan Gardener
2021-03-26 14:55   ` Charles Forsyth

9fans - fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/9fans

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V1 9fans 9fans/ http://inbox.vuxu.org/9fans \
		9fans@9fans.net
	public-inbox-index 9fans

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.9fans


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git