On 15 May 2017 at 17:44, trebol wrote: > I suppose this is the perfect answer to my silly question: why not permit = > after the start of a command? > do that, but make it behave like = before the start of the command. rc provides the outer syntax for all commands, as it does for file matching and redirection. the commands receive argv[], and (in Plan 9) /env as before. rc puts positional word arguments in argv, which are identified by position, and assignments in /env, which is what it currently does for x=y before a command (or before no command).