* [9fans] Frogs?
@ 2015-10-05 16:42 Kare Nuorteva
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kare Nuorteva @ 2015-10-05 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

I've bumped into frogs a few times while lurking on this list, but cannot make much sense out of it. Could someone please explain what is a frog in a filename?

Cheers,
Kare

* Re: [9fans] Frogs?
@ 2015-10-05 16:54 ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2015-10-05 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front/file/tip/sys/src/9/port/chan.c?style=gitweb#l1637

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Kare Nuorteva <kare.nuorteva@me.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've bumped into frogs a few times while lurking on this list, but cannot make much sense out of it. Could someone please explain what is a frog in a filename?
>
> Cheers,
> Kare

* Re: [9fans] Frogs?
@ 2015-10-05 17:02 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2015-10-05 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

chars that, by convention, convey information in-band when dealing with
files (e.g. '/'); they require quoting when used in file names.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Kare Nuorteva <kare.nuorteva@me.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've bumped into frogs a few times while lurking on this list, but cannot
> make much sense out of it. Could someone please explain what is a frog in a
> filename?
>
> Cheers,
> Kare

* Re: [9fans] Frogs?
@ 2015-10-05 19:10 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2015-10-05 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5 October 2015 at 17:42, Kare Nuorteva <kare.nuorteva@me.com> wrote:

> Could someone please explain what is a frog in a filename?

It's many decades old, and not restricted to file names. It originally
referred to an unexpected non-ASCII character in a text file:
"There's a frog in my file!" It was sometimes put there by a buggy editor
or corrupt file system. By extension it's a
character, still usually unprintable (before Unicode fonts), that doesn't
belong in its context. It's a bit of a stretch to call "/" a frog,
but that's just the name of the array.

* Re: [9fans] Frogs?
@ 2015-10-06  6:47   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2015-10-06  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

although this is all true, in the context of my comment needsquote() in libfmt is more relevant.

the rc shell has a well defined quoting convention, but this is not shared by awk or sed. Thus to    split the fields in du's output you need something that understands this convention, like the shell itself.

-Steve

> On 5 Oct 2015, at 17:54, Nick Owens <mischief@offblast.org> wrote:
>
> http://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front/file/tip/sys/src/9/port/chan.c?style=gitweb#l1637
>
>> On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Kare Nuorteva <kare.nuorteva@me.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I've bumped into frogs a few times while lurking on this list, but cannot make much sense out of it. Could someone please explain what is a frog in a filename?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kare

* Re: [9fans] Frogs?
@ 2015-10-06 15:25     ` Kare Nuorteva
From: Kare Nuorteva @ 2015-10-06 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks to all for very informative replies! :)

Cheers,
Kare

* Re: [9fans] Frogs?
@ 2015-10-06 23:10       ` Bruce Ellis