It needn't. Today, with the price of RAM, as many have noted, it's probably not worth the code and complexity (though there needn't be much of either), but it can be designed and made to work well. Also, despite the low cost of RAM, the systems still run out: my 3 Gbyte notebook running Chrome under Linux can run out. What Linux then does with no paging file is not pleasant, so I give it a small one, and it still thrashes trying to reclaim enough memory to continue. Pathetic. My new 4Gb notebook has the memory soldered in (Samsung Series 9). On 4 November 2012 14:18, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote: > that paging sucks is not a very new discovery.