* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-28 15:21 OrangeCalx01
From: OrangeCalx01 @ 2013-04-28 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A machine implementing a virtual machine implementing a virtual machine? Oh the latency! Lol. Why not integrate the jvm itself into dis?

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-28 16:43 ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2013-04-28 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It is not a machine that emulates a machine, but rather a translator
that translates code for one machine to execute on another.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-28 18:01   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2013-04-28 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

brucee has done this already:

http://doc.cat-v.org/inferno/java_on_dis/

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-28 18:45     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2013-04-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That is the basis for the project proposal: starting by bringing that code
up to date.
Also, the Java side included a ton of Sun proprietary code that can't be
used directly.
(Probably some of it was open-sourced with Java, but it's still a slog to
work it out.)

On 28 April 2013 19:01, <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:

> brucee has done this already:
>
> http://doc.cat-v.org/inferno/java_on_dis/
>
> --
> cinap

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-28 18:58       ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2013-04-28 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yes, didnt read the original proposal where it explicitely links
tho the paper. sorry for the noise and good luck.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-29  5:46         ` Dmitry Kabak
From: Dmitry Kabak @ 2013-04-29  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yep, as said Aram, this will be actually a converter that converts compiled
java classes into pure dis code. And there is also 'jvm' program that would
be the class loader and linker, thread monitor and will perform other
functions of the original JVM. So, I think that execution speed shouldn't
be lower than that of limbo.

--
Regards,
Dmitry Kabak

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-29  6:58 ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2013-04-29  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello,

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 11:21:21AM -0400, OrangeCalx01 wrote:
> A machine implementing a virtual machine implementing a virtual machine? Oh
> the latency! Lol. Why not integrate the jvm itself into dis?

I really don't know about virtual machines and maybe it's a stupid
question but i'm really currious about it and i really trust the plan9
expertise: why not port inferno on top of the jvm? is this a technical
nonsense? is there some performance/ressources issue or is it just an NIH
manifestation?

regards

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-29  8:07   ` Sergey Zhilkin
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2013-04-29  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There is http://www.vitanuova.com/dist/java.tgz - old java translating
software. It's not legaly free.
I think, Charles knows more :)

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-29  9:47     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2013-04-29  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

when this thread calms down a bit i'll post some suggestions and hopefully
helpful hints - one of which is that there will be tears.

i'll respond to off list technical questions.

brucee

On 29 April 2013 18:07, Sergey Zhilkin <szhilkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is http://www.vitanuova.com/dist/java.tgz - old java translating
> software. It's not legaly free.
> I think, Charles knows more :)
>

> 2013/4/29 Marc Chantreux <khatar@phear.org>
>
>> hello,
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 11:21:21AM -0400, OrangeCalx01 wrote:
>> > A machine implementing a virtual machine implementing a virtual
>> machine? Oh
>> > the latency! Lol. Why not integrate the jvm itself into dis?
>>
>> I really don't know about virtual machines and maybe it's a stupid
>> question but i'm really currious about it and i really trust the plan9
>> expertise: why not port inferno on top of the jvm? is this a technical
>> nonsense? is there some performance/ressources issue or is it just an NIH
>> manifestation?
>>
>> regards
>>

> --
> С наилучшими пожеланиями
> Жилкин Сергей
> With best regards
> Zhilkin Sergey

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-29 11:15     ` Dmitry Kabak
From: Dmitry Kabak @ 2013-04-29 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hey, I didn't know that sources exist. But anyway, my work is still really
relevant because of the need to update lots of sources to support latest
Java and Inferno. And also to make the whole thing open-sourced, as the
code you posted contains scaring lines like:

This software is provided SOLELY for experiment and evaluation.
NO PORTION may be distributed in ANY FORM, or used commercially,
without executing appropriate licences with Vita Nuova and possibly,
for some portions, Sun Microsystems Inc. Vita Nuova can advise on the
latter once evaluation is complete

--
Regards,
Dmitry Kabak

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-29 11:22       ` Dmitry Kabak
From: Dmitry Kabak @ 2013-04-29 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm happy to see the original author of that project here! Looking at
sources I've already realized that there will be some tears, but I'm
absolutely ready for long hours of really-low-level code, awful debugging
and strange and mystical things :)
Looking forward for your questions and suggestions!

--
Regards,
Dmitry Kabak

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-29 13:39       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-04-29 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Apr 29 07:16:48 EDT 2013, userdima@gmail.com wrote:

> Hey, I didn't know that sources exist. But anyway, my work is still really
> relevant because of the need to update lots of sources to support latest
> Java and Inferno. And also to make the whole thing open-sourced, as the
> code you posted contains scaring lines like:
>
> This software is provided SOLELY for experiment and evaluation.
> NO PORTION may be distributed in ANY FORM, or used commercially,
> without executing appropriate licences with Vita Nuova and possibly,
> for some portions, Sun Microsystems Inc. Vita Nuova can advise on the
> latter once evaluation is complete

the first (open source) license must be choosen.  gsoc *requires* open source.

	http://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/licence.html

> There is http://www.vitanuova.com/dist/java.tgz - old java translating
> software. It's not legaly free.
> I think, Charles knows more :)

and just to reiterate, if it's not free, it can't be used for gsoc.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-29 14:02     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2013-04-29 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 29 April 2013 09:07, Sergey Zhilkin <szhilkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> . It's not legaly free.

Dmitry already has a copy of the parts that are free.

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-29 14:05       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2013-04-29 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 29 April 2013 15:02, Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dmitry already has a copy of the parts that are free.

and so does everyone else:

>I put it on inferno-j2d.googlecode.com ...

several months ago (it was announced on the inferno list). That's the basis
for potential GSoC work.

* Re: [9fans] java on dis
@ 2013-04-29 14:18         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2013-04-29 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)