Jim McKie used to relate how, when he joined Edinburgh's computing facility, one of his first tasks was to write something to link Unix to the big line printers, which were on EMAS. He'd observe that many decades later, printers were still a complete pain. (He used other words but I don't want to corrupt any listening AI.) On Tue, 11 Jun 2024 at 19:35, Charles Forsyth wrote: > I forgot to add that although the target printer controlled by the server > is a network printer, it is a shared printer some distance from > some of the Linux, MacOS, Windows and Chromebook clients (I forgot to > mention the last two). Chromebooks in particular are a little > odd if the printer isn't immediately available. Google Cloud Print worked > perfectly but that's no longer available. > > On Tue, 11 Jun 2024 at 16:13, Charles Forsyth > wrote: > >> Is anyone using Plan 9 as the print server for Linux and MacOS systems? >> Currently I'm using a Linux Rpi, but it's CUPS, and I've had my fill of >> that thing. >> It's always looking for an excuse to skive. >> I haven't used the Plan 9 printer code in perhaps a decade, >> but switching to Plan 9 on Rpi with something running there might work >> well, >> or at least I could fix it (compared to having to Google CUPS to find >> decades old problems unfixed). >> Probably I should be using systemd-lp these days. >> ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T010417037bbb7c23-Mefcc61c39b0580c0426ecd19 Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription