* [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
@ 2012-03-20  9:54 Sauparna
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Sauparna @ 2012-03-20  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Previously I had a working Plan9 (3rd. Ed.) installation on my desktop, which had Pentium 4 processor. I am unable to boot from the same Plan9 CD, and even the 4th. Ed. CD, on my laptop. I get this error message:

PBS1...
Plan9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0C98
pcirouting: South bridge 8086, 2919 not found.
plan9.ini probe ... probing floppy ... probing bios ... probing CD ... probing sd ... no plan9.ini
cpu0: 2189MHz Core 2/Xeon
bios (usb) loading disabled
Boot devices: fd0
boot from:_

It stays put at this prompt with the blinking cursor. What could be the problem?

* Re: [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
@ 2012-03-20 10:15 ` tlaronde
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: tlaronde @ 2012-03-20 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 09:54:49AM +0000, Sauparna wrote:
> Previously I had a working Plan9 (3rd. Ed.) installation on my desktop, which had Pentium 4 processor. I am unable to boot from the same Plan9 CD, and even the 4th. Ed. CD, on my laptop. I get this error message:
>[...]
> cpu0: 2189MHz Core 2/Xeon
> bios (usb) loading disabled
> Boot devices: fd0
> boot from:_

>From the above, the problem is not an installation that worked before,
and does not anymore, since this is not a Pentium IV anymore but a
Core 2/Xeon.

Since it loads the floppy image, El Torito is supported. Now, this is
the exploration of the mass storage that seems to pose problems.

Do your disks have MBR, or GPT or something else (RAID)?

Are you able to enter a specification for boot from?
                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
@ 2012-03-20 10:20 ` cinap_lenrek
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-03-20 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

9load doesnt detect your storage devices. you could try plan9front cd
(http://r-36.net/9front/) wich uses a different bootloader wich uses
bios to access storage devices (so it doesnt need a custom driver)
wich will probably gets a kernel loaded.

if the kernel also doesnt detect the ide/sata controller, type !rc at
the bootargs prompt to get into a pre boot shell, then run:

grep -n '^01' '#$/pci/'*ctl

often, its just a matter of adding pci vid/did to the ide/sata driver
to get it running.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
@ 2012-03-20 10:21   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-03-20 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  From the above, the problem is not an installation that worked before,
> and does not anymore, since this is not a Pentium IV anymore but a
> Core 2/Xeon.
>
> Since it loads the floppy image, El Torito is supported. Now, this is
> the exploration of the mass storage that seems to pose problems.
>
> Do your disks have MBR, or GPT or something else (RAID)?
>
> Are you able to enter a specification for boot from?

the floppy loading and emulation is a bios trick.  nothing to do with
the boot image itself.

the problem is that plan 9 is not detecting the cd drive.  this could
be for two reasons
- the controller is just not supported.  if it's not usb, i'd be surprised
if it didn't emulate ide or ahci.
-  unless things have changed recently, the distribution cd won't boot
unless your cdrom is on D:.  this precludes any ahci and quite a bit of
ide-emulating devices.

the 9atom cd doesn't have the second problem.  it doesn't care where
the cd is configured.

hth.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
@ 2012-03-23  9:58 ` Sauparna
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sauparna @ 2012-03-23  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I tried several things, and help, again, will be appreciated. With the little knowledge I have I will try to explain the procedures.

@Thierry: I have a MBR, and not GPT. I have Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) and dual-boot through GRUB; as is the standard setup found when Ubuntu is installed second and GRUB writes the MBR. Secondly, I didn't know what to specify at the 'boot from:' prompt, and I haven't tried it yet. Yes, I can key in text at the prompt.

@cinap: 9front boots, and dies. I don't get installation / boot options at all. No prompt either.

@erik: 9atom worked. Booting from CD (option 2) didn't, but installation (option 1) proceeded fine till I got stuck at [mountdist], couldn't locate the distribution and it wouldn't proceed till I specify a correct source, so I quit at that point, rebooted and ended up losing my grub. I was careful enough to specify the right partition for installation, however I didn't choose the suggested layout but modified it (specifying start and end blocks) to occupy only 3GB of the raw free space I had. Booting from a live Ubuntu CD I can now list existing partitions using fdisk -l, but I am unable to mount my Ubuntu boot partition. 'mount' doesn't recognise the file system. The NTFS and another ext2 partition that I had can be mounted properly.

Here're my partitions. I have lost /dev/sda5 which was my boot partition. (Backed up, so no worries).

/dev/sda1   *           1        6374    51199123+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            6375       31298   200202030    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda3           31299       37359    48684982+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4           37360       37759     3213000   39  Plan 9
/dev/sda5            6375       30689   195310206   83  Linux
/dev/sda6           30690       31297     4883728+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

So,

1. Why should my MBR get overwritten when I aborted the Plan 9 installation at [mountdist]? And why did my boot partition get spoilt?
2. What should I do to get the [mountdist] step to completion?

* Re: [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-03-23  9:58 ` Sauparna
       [not found] ` <1c246e87-181f-456f-b12d-5f5553fa0931@px4g2000pbc.googlegroups.co>
From: Sauparna @ 2012-03-23  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I tried several things and help, again, is appreciated.

@erik, @cinap:
9front and 9atom booted properly. 9atom live-boot option didn't work,
but installation proceeded to [mountdist]. At that point I couldn't
figure out a way to point it correctly to the distribution, my linux
partition, though suggested, wouldn't mount. I had a plan9.iso there.
Before that at [partdisk] I manually specified a 3GB partition in some
raw free space I had. So I aborted, and then on I cannot boot into
Linux (I had backed up, so no worries). Why should the existing linux
boot partition get spoiled? Booting in with a rescue CD (Ubuntu Rescue
Remix), I can 'fdisk -l' all the partitions as they were. The NTFS
partition (I have Windows installed), and other ext3 partitions can be
mounted and navigated except for the boot partition (where root was
mounted).

@Thiery, I could key in characters at the 'boot from' prompt, but
didn't try anything then. I have a MBR, not GPT. It's a typical dual-
boot layout, having installed Ubuntu second, after Windows.

* Re: [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-03-23  9:59 ` Sauparna
       [not found] ` <1c246e87-181f-456f-b12d-5f5553fa0931@px4g2000pbc.googlegroups.co>
From: Sauparna @ 2012-03-23  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I tried several things, and help, again, is appreciated.

@Thiery: I could key in characters at the 'boot from' prompt, put didn't try anything then. I have an MBR and not GPT, it's a dual-booted system with Ubuntu having been installed second, after Windows. I used to boot through GRUB, as is the standard setup.

@eirk: 9atom worked. The live-boot option didn't but the installation proceeded till [mountdist] where I was unable to point the installer to the distribution archive. I aborted and rebooted at this point, and ended up losing GRUB and the Linux boot partition (I have backed up, so no worries).

@cinap: 9front booted properly.

So, I am wondering why 9atom would write to the MBR then, isn't that option asked for after [mountdist]? I was careful enough to specify the correct partition at [partdisk]. There was a default layout suggested, which I manually modified to take up 3GB only. Other than that, I made no changes. Booting into my system with a live rescue disk (Ubuntu Rescue Remix), I can 'fdisk -l' the partition table, everything shows up, but I can't mount the ubuntu boot partition. Other NTFS and ext3 partitions are fine, can be mounted and navigated.

Secondly, what do I do at [mountdist] to correctly specify a dist archive?

@ 2012-03-23 10:12   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-03-23 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> @erik, @cinap:
> 9front and 9atom booted properly. 9atom live-boot option didn't work,
> but installation proceeded to [mountdist]. At that point I couldn't
> figure out a way to point it correctly to the distribution, my linux
> partition, though suggested, wouldn't mount. I had a plan9.iso there.
> Before that at [partdisk] I manually specified a 3GB partition in some
> raw free space I had. So I aborted, and then on I cannot boot into
> Linux (I had backed up, so no worries). Why should the existing linux
> boot partition get spoiled? Booting in with a rescue CD (Ubuntu Rescue
> Remix), I can 'fdisk -l' all the partitions as they were. The NTFS
> partition (I have Windows installed), and other ext3 partitions can be
> mounted and navigated except for the boot partition (where root was
> mounted).

the fact that the live-boot doesn't work is sort of well-known.
sorry about that.

i don't know why your mbr is getting wacked.  that's antisocial.
i never dual-boot myself.
i'll try to look at it this weekend.  it's probablly as thiery points out
that we're trying to overlay some chs crap onto a massive sata drive.

can you send me the output of cat /dev/sd*/ctl when you get a chance?
also, could you send me a fdisk summary of what the partition table
looks like?  a raw dump of the first 16 sectors of the drive would be
even better.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
@ 2012-03-23 12:10   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-03-23 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

theres a bug in plan9 fdisk causing partitions to get forcefully
rounded to cylinder boundries. causing existing partitions
to "move" even if they where never modified due to wrong
disk geometry detection or just non-cylinder-aligned
partitioning.

this was fixed in 9front long ago.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
@ 2012-03-23 16:07     ` Sauparna
From: Sauparna @ 2012-03-23 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 3:42 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> i don't know why your mbr is getting wacked.  that's antisocial.

erik, just a point here. I think I mislead you. My partition got spoiled,
the mbr was fine, for I got a grub prompt (in stead of the the usual grub
screen). It must have been that grub couldn't boot the right thing.

(I'll post the outputs soon.)

-Sauparna

* Re: [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
@ 2012-03-26  9:27     ` Sauparna
From: Sauparna @ 2012-03-26  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Here's 'fdisk -l'. (sdb is a usb disk I connected later.) The warnings
seems to corroborate cinap's comment, is it so?

The dump: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10125317/sda.16.dump
(dd if=/dev/sda of=sda.16.dump bs=4096 count=16)

That should be the 1st. 16 sectors I hope. I checked (dumpe2fs) the bs of
sda3 (this partition is intact) to use the above bs. Also, to boot into my
Windows, I had fixed the mbr using the Windows 'fixmbr' command. So you
will find an intact mbr, and therefore not a very useful thing, the dump
will turn out to be.

This exercise is turning out to be interesting. May I ask how you would
have worked on the dump, and what could be learnt from looking into it?

And what did you mean by : cat /dev/sd*/ctl, it didn't work for me? I used
sda and sda5.

Warning: Partition 5 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Warning: Partition 6 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system).
/dev/sr0 has been opened read-only.
Error: /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label

Disk /dev/sda: 320 GB, 320070320640 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1        6374    51199123    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            6375       31298   200193997    f  Extended LBA
/dev/sda5            6375       30689   195302205   83  Linux
/dev/sda6           30690       31297     4875727   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3           31299       37359    48676950   83  Linux
/dev/sda4           37360       37759     3204967   39  Plan 9

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000 GB, 1000202273280 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sdb1   *           1          97      779121    b  FAT32
/dev/sdb2              98        1403    10482412   83  Linux
/dev/sdb3            1404      121601   965482402   83  Linux

* Re: [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
@ 2012-03-30 15:13       ` Sauparna
From: Sauparna @ 2012-03-30 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs