On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 9:47 AM Steven Stallion wrote: > In short, start small and grow as needed. For reference, when I ran > Coraid's fs based on 64-bit Ken's (WORM only, no dedupe) in RWC > (based on the main fs in Athens). Over the course of a few years > the entire WORM grew to around 35GB. This was for a couple dozen > people working full time. I believe I had the LUN configured to > something rather large at the time - around 12TB. All wasted space. Hi, So if you were setting up a new filesystem for the same group, and were using venti, would you be using the default 500 mb arena size (meaning 70+ arenas), or would you be sizing them at a larger size, like 1 gb, 2 gb, etc? The "setting up venti" page indicates that multiple small disks help with performance on venti due to using more indexes, but I can't tell if that translates to more partitions (e.g., 1 RAID 1+0 disk split into multiple smaller partitions, and divvied up into isectX and arenaX drives). I guess it probably comes down to how well (or poorly) the underlying disk array performs at random read/write ops. I see that AWS S3 allows for up to 5 gb in a single PUT, or 5 tb using multipart streams, and am thinking that using 1 to 5 gb arenas might make sense as a more modern "sized for for easy offline backup" default. Jim