I used to use sam exclusively on my Linux machine. I had to stop after I switched to Mac OS X many years ago. A few years later I picked up acme, and have been using it since. I also find that, for some reason I can't explain, I have rarely reached for the Edit X// command in a scratch window. I really ought to use it more often, it's not *that* much different than the sam command window, and I naturally made very heavy use of the sam command language when I was using sam(1) all the time. For some reason in my head there is a tiny barrier between using Edit X// vs. selecting a window in sam and then using the command window. The one thing I always miss from sam is the remote editor ability. Given sam + ssh it was really a joy to be able to remote edit files, much nicer than using the remote editing capability of emacs. I had plumber rules set up so that I could use a remote 'B' command to trigger opening the files from the remote machine, and it was very nice to seamlessly navigate and edit w/o really thinking about where the file was. Jim