* [9fans] 9front: /lib/ndb/local clobbered after edit w/ sam, soon following update
@ 2014-03-25  6:07 Michael Hansen
From: Michael Hansen @ 2014-03-25  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Earlier today, I ran sysupdate on a Thinkpad T23 running
9front-3196.bf2df3ad17fa and rebuilt from source, as shown in the
9front wiki.

Later, I edited /lib/ndb/local with sam to specify a different ntp
server. After writing the change, closing the file, and quitting sam,
I restarted with fshalt -r.

After the restart, the machine's name had defaulted to cirno, and all
dns lookups seemed to be failing. I checked /lib/ndb/local to see if
I'd accidentally changed more than I thought, and the whole thing had
been replaced with what looked like C source I'd been looking at,
earlier. (Not the whole file, just the last ~20 lines.)

I copied another machine's /lib/ndb/local onto a flash drive, copied
it to /lib/ndb, modified it to suit the Thinkpad with sam, again, and
restarted with fshalt -r.

/lib/ndb/local got clobbered again, except this time, it was
overwritten with something having the general appearance of line
noise, heavy on unprintable characters.

I repeated the process of reconstructing /lib/ndb/local from another
box, only this time, I used ed instead of sam, and all appeared to be
well, after restarting.

Any ideas what went wrong? Trying to figure-out whether this is a DDTT
situation, or if I should worry that something got corrupted in the
update process, or that my recently installed SSD might have issues.