From: Michael Hansen <mmhansen@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: [9fans] Changing the active NIC on 9front
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 03:47:17 -0800	[thread overview]

Hello,
I picked-up an old Thinkpad T23 and a Lucent Wavelan PC24E-H-FC,
hoping to use it when I'm out of the house. My Wavelan card seems to
connect to the WAP fine, after I configured it based on the plan9.ini
man page. However, I haven't figured-out which documentation to
consult regarding how to point the IP stack at the Wavelan card
instead of the Thinkpad's integrated wired nic. I've read some
archived posts on this list regarding alternate namespaces for two
interfaces, but that doesn't seem to be quite the same problem. I
don't intend to make any use of the integrated nic, but the MAC
address for that nic is the one which appears in /lib/ndb/local.
Swapping that MAC address with the Wavelan's seems to simply cause the
machine's $sysname to revert to Cirno. (Not that there's anything
wrong with Cirno, but that change doesn't seem to have brought me any
closer to a solution.) I'd try the dual nic, dual namespace option,
but I don't think I understand how namespaces work well enough to pull
it off, yet.

If it matters, this machine isn't meant to depend on my cpu/auth
server, and the caching DNS servers I plan to use seem to be
accessible from all the networks to which I intend to connect it.

I'd really appreciate help understanding what I need to change, or
links to what I need to read.