So sorry to learn this. My favorite memory of jmk, though I never knew him personally, was from 2003, when I was still learning how to engineer and hack operating system kernels. He and I exchanged emails regarding the best way to audit a kernel’s networking stack, as I had found some bugs in the Plan 9 TCP/IP stack that were remotely exploitable. His point was that I was way over thinking how to implement a working product, and I should focus more on being a *good engineer* rather than being a *perfect engineer*, and not worry so much about how perfect every line I wrote was. I’ll never forget how much that blew my mind at the time, an idea so simple, that even in a place as “elite” (to me) as Bell Labs, perfect was the enemy of good, even if innovation was the goal. A lesson I have carried with me from that day, which may have contributed greatly to the success I’ve had since then. Rest in peace, my friend. Don A. Bailey Lab Mouse Security https://labmou.se/ @InfoSecMouse > On Jun 24, 2020, at 6:36 PM, Charles Forsyth wrote: > >  > I am sorry to say that Jim McKie (jmk) died suddenly on 16 June. https://www.ippolitofuneralhomes.com/obituaries/James-B-McKie?obId=15111702&fbclid=IwAR3d7aHZXEOhYz-ciOrQPh-W1eMw-_8MHiCUdeKOxzLBEI6VGHsSn4aTjdk > 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options Permalink