* [9fans] abaco's UI
@ 2005-11-11  2:37 Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2005-11-11  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I'm planning a major rewrite of abaco, to fix some bugs and change the
UI.

This is what I have in mind:

Two bars on the top the first one with commands(Snarf, Download, Exit
and, maybe in a not so distant future, Look), and the second with the
current url, their would be frame(2)s, so you can edit them like in
acme.  A third bar would be at the bottom showing the url under the
mouse pointer.

Also would have scrollbars, because they are needed to render framed
pages.  Mouse's button 1 would open the url in the same window, 2
would drag the page and 3 would plumb the link.

Some of this changes were sujested by Kenji Okamoto and by Russ Cox.

So, what do you think?

Federico G.Benavento

PS: /n/sources/contrib/fgb/abaco_tables.tgz, is the current
state of abaco, notice that the rendering process is very, very slow and
this will be fixed in the rewrite.

---
/bin/fortune:
Formatting 20,00.77M   - Windows 95

* [9fans] abaco's UI
@ 2005-11-11  2:46 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2005-11-11  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, Federico G. Benavento

great!

on a related note, it's been mentioned that adding graphics to acme
isn't too hard. has anybody done this? i haven't even taken a look.
my todo list grows at twice the rate as the done list. ;-)

erik

"Federico G. Benavento" <benavento@gmail.com> writes

| Hi,
|
| I'm planning a major rewrite of abaco, to fix some bugs and change the
| UI.
|
| This is what I have in mind:
|
| Two bars on the top the first one with commands(Snarf, Download, Exit
| and, maybe in a not so distant future, Look), and the second with the
| current url, their would be frame(2)s, so you can edit them like in
| acme.  A third bar would be at the bottom showing the url under the
| mouse pointer.
|
| Also would have scrollbars, because they are needed to render framed
| pages.  Mouse's button 1 would open the url in the same window, 2
| would drag the page and 3 would plumb the link.
|
| Some of this changes were sujested by Kenji Okamoto and by Russ Cox.
|
| So, what do you think?
|
| Federico G.Benavento
|
| PS: /n/sources/contrib/fgb/abaco_tables.tgz, is the current
| state of abaco, notice that the rendering process is very, very slow and
| this will be fixed in the rewrite.

* Re: [9fans] abaco's UI
@ 2005-11-11  3:04   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-11-11  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, erik quanstrom wrote:

> great!
>
> on a related note, it's been mentioned that adding graphics to acme
> isn't too hard. has anybody done this? i haven't even taken a look.
> my todo list grows at twice the rate as the done list. ;-)
>
> erik

Francisco Ballesteros's Plan B has acme with pictures :)

* Re: [9fans] abaco's UI
@ 2005-11-11  3:17   ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2005-11-11  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I started down that path a couple of months ago - I was wanting a
simple 3-D line drawing tool that worked off a (symbolic) text
description of the object.  Then most modeling operations become
textual manipulations, and the interaction can be cast that way.
The first thing I needed was larger tags to hold the palette of
operators, which led to a version of acme with the scroll wheel
controlling tag size - Russ has evolved that into a more uniform acme-
like UI that I'm starting to really like.  With luck we'll see it in
the distribution soon.
But really, the change for graphics is pretty trivial: the window
code is pretty isolated and all the text handling sits in libframe,
so all you need is isolate those calls and replace them with your
stuff.  The hard part is the absence of a window re-draw call.
Acme's history as a bitblit based editor over a low-bandwidth line
really shows - it really doesn't redraw what it doesn't need to.
The interesting question is what database of graphical information
you want to use and display.  Abaco looks like an ever-improving 2D
web solution, but I'm really interested in 2D vector graphics and 3D
volume manipulations ^[à la SketchUp (www.sketchup.com)

Paul

       [not found] <000001c5e669$f1f5f5b0$14aaa8c0@utelsystems.local>
@ 2005-11-11  9:00 ` Nils O. Selåsdal
From: Nils O. Selåsdal @ 2005-11-11  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 03:45 +0100, Federico G. Benavento wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning a major rewrite of abaco, to fix some bugs and change the
> UI.
..

> PS: /n/sources/contrib/fgb/abaco_tables.tgz, is the current
> state of abaco, notice that the rendering process is very, very slow and
> this will be fixed in the rewrite.

People just interresting in the current state of affairs might benefit
from your screenshot at
http://www.tip9ug.jp/who/fgb/abaco_tables.png