* [9fans] entire cache is busy, 999 dirty
@ 2010-01-31  5:04 Kenji Arisawa
From: Kenji Arisawa @ 2010-01-31  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello 9fans,

Latterly my file server speaks annoying  kernel message such as:
entire cache is busy, 999 dirty -- waking flush thread
cache is okay again
entire cache is busy, 999 dirty -- waking flush thread
cache is okay again

My question is:
(a) where these messages come from? venti?
(b) what is the problem?
(c) how to fix?

My plan9 partitions are:
hera% disk/prep -p /dev/sdC0/plan9
part 9fat 63 41027
part fossil 41027 21021587
part arenas 21021587 104943827
part isect0 104943827 109139939
part isect1 109139939 113336051
part nvram 113336051 113336052
part cache 113336052 115434108
part swap 115434108 117532164
part bloom 117532164 117597700
part vac 152100272 152100273
part fs 152100273 160826715
hera%
# don't mined "vac", that is my own use.

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] entire cache is busy, 999 dirty
@ 2010-01-31 17:22 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-01-31 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> My question is:
> (a) where these messages come from? venti?

fossil.  (cache.c)

> (b) what is the problem?
> (c) how to fix?

good question.  are you running the latest
version of fossil? if not, this could be caused by slow
disk writes which could in turn be caused by the
periodic bug that cinap_lenrek reported.

the 999 number is also curious.  one would
expect that there are more than 999 blocks
in the cache.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] entire cache is busy, 999 dirty
@ 2010-02-01  4:39   ` Kenji Arisawa
From: Kenji Arisawa @ 2010-02-01  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello erik,

> are you running the latest version of fossil?

probably not.
I will refresh my file server.

Thanks

Kenji Arisawa