I finally got to check on this. First thanks to Geoff for his informative replies and to jmk for taking the time to let me know Geoff was away. That saved me from checking my email every 5 seconds looking for his posts. I tried copyworm yesterday. I wasn't sure what device I was supposed to use. First I made main fh0 and output fw2, but I got a message saying something like `no blocks to copy from worm'. So, then I just made main h0 and output w2. Copyworm ran and ended with (and I actually wrote the message down this time): wreniocmd out of range a=w2 b=6105859 wrenwrite: w2(6105859) bad status 0040 out block 6105859: write error; bailing copied 615859 blocks from h0 to w2 sync: wormcopy looping: reset the machine at any time h0 is an 80G IDE drive (Western Digital something), and w2 is a Seagate 50GB U2WCS 3HH ST150176LC 1.6-IN HIGH 80-PIN according to the seller's blurb. I wouldn't think 50 is just too small given that I only had a few GB of stuff and have only been running since December. I need to try the p(w2)1.99. I didn't have any intention of having an MBR but maybe something there is the problem. Do you think that might help? It takes almost 20hrs to complete the copy, so it's not an easy experiment to do. Anyway, any thoughts appreciated. Greg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- It sounds like cannot add sd12!plan9 [63,156296385] to disk [0,976937355): partition boundaries out of range is coming from 9load. I haven't seen this, but it does sound like garbled partition tables or a bad disk. The first block of a file system contains its configuration block, so if you plan to have an MBR or other DOS/FAT stuff on the disk, you'll need to skip it. I do that on my main file server to allow a small DOS partition. To do so, use p(w0)1.99 instead of w0, for example. `panic: fworm: checktag 6105775' is quite serious. The fake-worm bitmap isn't initialised. Copying fworms is tricky, particularly if the output device is larger than the input device. You probably ought to use copyworm instead of copydev, since copydev just blindly copies blocks, assuming input and output are the same size, but copyworm knows how to copy fworms, including reaming the output fworm, thus creating its bitmap.